1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Career change from optometry to pharmacy?

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by apple896, Aug 12, 2015.

1. apple896

I have already completed my 1st year of optometry school, but now I have been dismissed, so now I am stuck at home for a year with my parents, and I am very unhappy, and crying all the time.

I was thinking about changing my career to pharmacy, and I don't know if it's a good idea or not. I do know that I am hard working, and quiet in personality. But I don't have any experience in the field or know too much about it.

So I was wondering if anyone could please give me some advice into if this is a good idea, or just any advice in general. Thank you.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Deja

7+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    -_________________-

why were you dismissed? and why do you think pharmacy would be a good fit

4. Son_Goku

Son_Goku Probationary Status
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Red flags homicide.

Assuming you got dismissed for academic reasons, what makes you think you can hack it in pharmacy school?

5. HouTX

5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    argh my pet peeve, generation special snowflake. just because you're are hard working does not mean you are capable or even deserve it.

6. The Clyde

5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Seems a little heavy-handed of a reply. It's not like the poster said "I work hard so I deserve it." It's a post (albeit clearly emotionally driven) asking for information and perspective.

YF786 likes this.
  7. gwarm01

7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    The fields are very different. What did you like/dislike about optometry? What were your struggles? If you were dismissed for academic reasons, what classes gave you trouble?
    What are you looking for out of pharmacy? Which career path in pharmacy do you see yourself taking? Why?

My gut reaction says to wait it out for a year and continue in optometry if that is an option, but we need more information before we can give you any sort of real advice.

8. NateRobinson

7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I'm a pharmacist and I'd rather be an optometrist. Don't switch if you still have the option to be the latter. Being a pharmacist is not a fun job unless you own your own store or work in an independent where you reign in the profits. Otherwise, its politics after politics and too much going on.

9. BidingMyTime

BidingMyTime Lost Shaker Of Salt
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    If you think pharmacy is going to be "easier" than optometry, you are wrong. Whatever caused your dismissal from your optometry school, will most likely also be a problem in pharmacy school. You will need to fix whatever the problem was that you had in optometry school (and if you fix the problem, why wouldn't you want to try to go back to optometry school, since that was your first career choice?)

10. lcow2004

7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    To be honest, despite what other pharmacists will tell you, I will say from personal experience that pharmacy is easier to get through than optometry. Pharmacy is a lot of times viewed as backup for other healthcare fields for people who want to be in healthcare but can't cut it in other fields. I have few other friends that left medicine/dentistry for pharmacy and I was similar in your shoes and started my healthcare career in optometry and went through 2 years of it before dropping it for pharmacy. Just my 2 cents :)

11. Son_Goku

Son_Goku Probationary Status
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Lol are you kidding me? Optometrists aren't even making 6 figures.

12. lcow2004

7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    What does how much one makes have to do with anything?

13. Peon

Pharmacist
    Stay with optometry! Pharmacy has become a 'slave' job. I even question whether you can call it a profession. I have been in pharmacy for 45 years. Pharmacy has gone downhill ever since I graduated from pharmacy school. A lot of pharmacists are putting in 12 to 14 hour days, no breaks, and no lunch breaks with lines of people complaining about how long it is taking for you to fill their prescription. Corporate is constantly sending notices complaining about your stores performance and they will micro-manage everything you do.

14. apple896

My struggles were in two classes, and they were also the tough ones. I didn't dislike anything about optometry, it's just that I was not satisfied with the way the tough class professors taught the class. I went to the Puerto Rico optometry school, and I feel the only thing I learned is how to live alone a little bit. Some students had old notes, while others didn't. I always studied myself, and I feel I learned a lot that way. On top of that, I literally struggled with my first roommates (nothing but gossip and party people) ever that I had to move in the middle of the school of year, and they did too because of their behavior. I had a Gpa very close to 2.0, which was the minimum dismissal criteria, only because of two classes.

I want to go to pharmacy because I was thinking maybe it is more for my personality, quiet, calm, etc. Another reason is that, my experience at the Puerto Rico optometry school (called IAUPR) was not good, coming back home and thinking about it, and interacting with the people there. So then if I want this, I want to transfer to another school, and so... it would make more sense to just try another career would it?

15. Dred Pirate

2+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    unfortunately this may be what many people outside the profession think - in most cases, this is far from the truth

cth916, BidingMyTime, Jbrl and 2 others like this.
  16. gwarm01

7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Yep. You will be speaking to people all day long in most pharmacy settings. Communication skills are important. You will have to deal with hectic situations every day.

17. apple896

@gwarm01 or anyone else, The communicating thing is nothing, what I'm asking is what do you suggest to me based on the situation I said so far?

18. Jbrl

2+ Year Member

Let me dissect this for you step by step. Maybe it will help you see your situation more clearly to have a 3rd party lay it out for you. This is what you've revealed so far:
    • You've been dismissed from optometry school and are thinking of pharmacy school
    • You're "unhappy and crying all the time"
    • You don't have any experience in pharmacy or know anything about it
    • Your struggles in optometry were because of two "hard" classes that were taught by professors whose teaching style you disliked
    • You learned to "live alone a little bit" in Puerto Rico and "always studied [on your own]," presumably without "old notes"
    • You think it makes sense to "try another career" because your experience in optometry was "not good"
    • You believe pharmacy is "more for [your] personality, quiet, calm, etc"
    Some points I think are important:
    1. Do not "try another career" and apply to schools like you try on hats. It's horribly ineffectual and shows lack of sound judgment.
    2. Use every advantage you can get (within your ethics). People don't live on an island - if there were people with "old notes," and you knew this, why didn't you ask? Maybe you wouldn't have done as badly. Concise notes that save precious time are priceless.
    3. Pick yourself up. Finish your grieving, then stop crying. It doesn't help you at all. Easier said than done of course. Focus on what you can do to change your situation, not what has transpired.
    4. Hard classes with professors you aren't fond of doesn't stop with optometry.
    5. Get real world experience. Learn what pharmacists actually do instead of attaching your preconceptions onto the profession. Shadow. You say you don't know pharmacy, but think it's the right field for you. Contradiction.

cth916, GoldfishPharmD and YF786 like this.
  19. Reirrac

7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    First thing you need to do is recover from your grief. After that is done, explore your options. Pharmacy is not doing well in the job market so take that into consideration before you make your decision. Don't pick pharmacy simply as a fallback, that's a big mistake you don't want to make. Claiming you're a hard worker means nothing; prove it! Being quiet is fine, but a pharmacist's job involve a lot of talking and consulting, so you must develop communication skills to do well.

If you are really serious about pharmacy, then consider working at a pharmacy and talk with the technicians and pharmacists. Check if you enjoy the job.

#18 Reirrac, Aug 15, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  20. HouTX

5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    let's be honest here, apple went to PR cus that's all they were able to get into. and they couldn't even hack that

21. BidingMyTime

BidingMyTime Lost Shaker Of Salt
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Seriously????? I guarantee the daily life of an optometrist is FAR more calm than the daily life of a pharmacist. A hospital pharmacist has a slightly calmer life than a retail pharmacist, but not by much. With optometry, you have scheduled patients & you will deal with one patient at a time (granted there may be the occasional emergency situation....) However, with pharmacy, for 98% of the practice settings, you will be multi-tasking, you will have technicians pulling on one arm to get you to do something and nurses or customers pulling on the other arm to get you to do something. There will be no orderly pace to your day, its always a million things to do at once or nothing, and it won't be at the same time each day.

Nor is there anything "quiet" about a pharmacy. The phone is always ringing...whether your are in retail or hospital. Myself, like many people tune it out, but if you can't, then it will be like listening to your alarm clock go for your entire shift. You will be talking for a good portion of your shift, to patients, to technicians, to nurses, to doctors.

And if you can't handle the workload of optometry school, I doubt you will be able to handle the workload of pharmacy school (have you even looked at the coursework load pharmacists take?)

As mentioned above, you should not be trying on careers like hats. Perhaps the best thing you could do is take a year off, job shadow different careers that you think you might be interested in (or just go to a retail pharmacist around 5:00pm and sit down and observe what's going on....) and then you will be in a better position to decide what type of career you want.

You should also probably take some on-line aptitude tests and maybe a study habit class. Any advanced career you pick is not going to be a walk in the park, it will have difficult material to learn and difficult teachers to work with. You will have to learn to deal with that.

cth916 and GoldfishPharmD like this.
  22. MyRealNameIs

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I suggest you learn to talk and connect with other people with your free time right now.

Just try talking to strangers.

Studying with a group is tremendously helpful if you aren't smart. You need other people to teach you.

It looks like you are way too shy to even ask someone for their notes. How hard is, "Hey can I borrow your notes and study together?"

Most pharmacy jobs place high priority in communication skills and it seems you are severely lacking.