Career changer - letters of recommendation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jade33

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm wondering if anyone can offer some advice as to who to ask for letters of recommendation after having been out of school for nearly 10 years? I am not in touch with any of my psychology professors from back in the day. It's my understanding that grad schools are looking for recommendations from someone with a good understanding of your academic abilities. Any advice on who to ask for LOR's in a case like this? Do letters from work supervisors or professional contacts mean much in this arena?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm interested in both clinical PhD and PsyD programs, though my research experience is limited to one year as a research assistant from my undergrad years. I feel like it might be a stretch to apply for any program with a heavy research focus.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was a career changer and ran into this problem. In my case I had to go back and take more undergrad psych classes before applying because I had such a limited background in psych from college, and what I did have was like 20 yrs old. Anyway, I ended up with two recommendation letters from profs and one from a psychologist who I knew through personal contacts and volunteering. I got into a good PsyD program and a more clinically-oriented PhD program. I got rejected from the more research-intensive PhD programs (not a surprise given my background).

Would taking at least one psych class be an option for you as a way of getting a more recent and strong rec letter? If so, this might really help. It also could help to do a semester or two of research as an RA or as a student. This could also result in an excellent letter.

Good luck.

Thanks psychmama - this is a helpful suggestion. You're right - it may be necessary for me to take a class or two over the summer to reconnect with the academic world and to obtain a recommendation. What kind of classes did you enroll in when you went back for a refresher?

I am just beginning training for volunteer work at a local crisis hotline, so am hoping that experience may also result in fostering a relationship with someone who may be able to write a recommendation for me down the road.

I am also interested in upping my research experience, but have found it difficult to find a volunteer research opportunity in my area (NYC) that I can balance with my 9-5 job. Any ideas?

This is what worked for me, and a year and a half ago I was pretty much in the same boat as you are: in addition to the psych classes I was taking, I found a professor whose research was relevant to my interests and took an independent study in undergrad research for 3 credits. I really think this made a difference in how my non-traditional applicant profile was perceived. I don't know about the PsyDs, but for the Clinical PhDs, some recent research, and a recommendation from the professor your working for, is a big piece of the puzzle.

I think there are different ways you can go -- I'd say that you can't go wrong taking a psych class this summer in something with a research component. Other good options might be abnormal psych, developmental, perhaps social psych. If you can take two classes this summer, at least one where you can do research, so much the better. I took something like 20 credits -- probably much more than you'd need if you took a lot of psych in college.

The exact mix of classes and clinical experience depends on where you're applying. If you want the best shot at funded PhD programs, get more research...if PsyD is what you're after, a bit less researxh will probably be okay, and your crisis hotline experience will help (especially if you can get a good recommendation letter out of it).:luck:

Thanks for all the suggestions - I'll plan on taking a class or two this summer. I was a psych major, so hopefully I won't have quite as much catching up to do!

I'm interested in a more clinically focused program rather than a research-intensive program. However, I am well aware that a research background is helpful in any arena, so if I can get into a summer course with a research component, that would be ideal.

Thanks again for all your help!