Step III CCS questions - Mine

Started by RedSoxSuck
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

RedSoxSuck

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
ED case 8+2 minute case


65 year old male comes to the ED for shortness of breath and significant respiratory distress. Worsening cough with sputum production. PMH history of copd and smoker.

Vitals: temp 98

HR: 88

RR: 25

Bp: normal




Following is the approach I would take:



1) Stabilizing orders. Even though patient is hemodynamically stable, respiratory status along with age points toward stabilizing orders:

a. IV access, pulse ox, oxygen, cardiac monitor, bp monitor, EKG. Am I wrong to add EKG here?

2) Physical exam

a. HEENT, Cardio, respiratory

i. Exam came back normal except for: Increased AP diameter, decrease breath sounds bilateral, wheezing and rhonchi, prolong expiration, hyper resonance to percussion

3) Move the clock to get to the first order window.

a. Ordered: albuterol, chest x-ray, abg

i. Question: Can I order (cbc, bmp, sputum culture, steroids, ABx) on the same screen as chest x-ray, abg, albuterol or do I need to order these on a separate screen?