Chances/Advice?

Started by pharm9880
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pharm9880

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My situation is kinda different. I go to a top private school that is well respected in Texas, but I will not have a BS upon enrollment. However, I will have enough credit hours to graduate, and my school does this program where if you have enough credit hours to graduate and you complete a year of professional school, they will award you a BS in Health Sciences... So I would have my BS after a year of pharmacy school. Other possibly pertinent information that is on my extracurricular and honors sections of my application: I'm in the honors program at my university and I have received several honors from the university as well, I was awarded the American Chemical Society Student Leadership Award last year, I have been the treasurer for our Student Affiliate of the ACS for the past year and will remain in that position this year, I am the vice-chair of the Student Advisory Board for our College of Science and Engineering (will be the chair starting in December), I am the section leader for the ACS National Chemistry Week for the local metropolitan area, I am an Honors College mentor for incoming freshmen, I am in two leadership programs on campus, one of which has only a 12% acceptance rate, and I mentor incoming members of said leadership program.

I am applying to:

University of North Carolina
University of New Mexico
University of Oklahoma
University of North Texas
Texas Tech
Belmont University

Overall GPA: 3.27
M/S GPA: 3.04
PCAT: 96

I have 2 years of pharmaceutical research under my belt and most likely will enter pharmacy school with 2-3 published papers. I am a CPhT and will most likely have 16 hours of shadowing in various specialty pharmacies by the time I apply. I have three solid to strong letters of recommendation from various professors, including the chemistry department chair. As far as volunteering goes, I have been volunteering with HIV/STI prevention groups in the LGBT community and with the local science museum to teach children about chemistry and physics. Finally, I have a strong personal statement that has been edited for content by several medical students and grammar by a PhD student in English.

Also, my low GPA is in part due to A LOT of loss in the last two years. I had a friend from my hometown commit suicide, a friend from college die in an accident in December, my uncle passed away, my grandfather passed away, and my mother was diagnosed with cancer and diabetes, so I had to make constant trips home. Should I mention this anywhere?
 
My situation is kinda different. I go to a top private school that is well respected in Texas, but I will not have a BS upon enrollment. However, I will have enough credit hours to graduate, and my school does this program where if you have enough credit hours to graduate and you complete a year of professional school, they will award you a BS in Health Sciences... So I would have my BS after a year of pharmacy school. Other possibly pertinent information that is on my extracurricular and honors sections of my application: I'm in the honors program at my university and I have received several honors from the university as well, I was awarded the American Chemical Society Student Leadership Award last year, I have been the treasurer for our Student Affiliate of the ACS for the past year and will remain in that position this year, I am the vice-chair of the Student Advisory Board for our College of Science and Engineering (will be the chair starting in December), I am the section leader for the ACS National Chemistry Week for the local metropolitan area, I am an Honors College mentor for incoming freshmen, I am in two leadership programs on campus, one of which has only a 12% acceptance rate, and I mentor incoming members of said leadership program.

I am applying to:

University of North Carolina
University of New Mexico
University of Oklahoma
University of North Texas
Texas Tech
Belmont University

Overall GPA: 3.27
M/S GPA: 3.04
PCAT: 96

I have 2 years of pharmaceutical research under my belt and most likely will enter pharmacy school with 2-3 published papers. I am a CPhT and will most likely have 16 hours of shadowing in various specialty pharmacies by the time I apply. I have three solid to strong letters of recommendation from various professors, including the chemistry department chair. As far as volunteering goes, I have been volunteering with HIV/STI prevention groups in the LGBT community and with the local science museum to teach children about chemistry and physics. Finally, I have a strong personal statement that has been edited for content by several medical students and grammar by a PhD student in English.

Also, my low GPA is in part due to A LOT of loss in the last two years. I had a friend from my hometown commit suicide, a friend from college die in an accident in December, my uncle passed away, my grandfather passed away, and my mother was diagnosed with cancer and diabetes, so I had to make constant trips home. Should I mention this anywhere?

I would mention it briefly. Don't spend 90% of your PS on it


I agree with jboulos12 there. I think it is only distinguished to mention more if your academic performance had achieved and maintained excellence despite all that adversity.
 
I agree. Quick mention of it.

Highlight your strengths and your passion for pharmacy. It shouldn't be hard, you have amazing qualifications!