Chances at MD (currently in smp), help please!!

wut?

2+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
To make a long story short, I'm currently doing an SMP and got a C+ in one of my classes. I have 2 more semesters left for the program and if I I apply myself, I could raise my cumulative GPA to a 3.7-3.8. How screwed am I for a chance at a lower tier/ mid tier MD? Not sure if it helps, but prior to starting the smp I had an upward trend my senior year of college and finished that year with a 3.7 gpa, even though my cumulative gpa for undergrad was 3.1.-3.2 range.

Haven't taken my mcat yet, have research experience and volunteer/clinical experience. Thanks for the advice!

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 1 user

Goro

SDN Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
To make a long story short, I'm currently doing an SMP and got a C+ in one of my classes. I have 2 more semesters left for the program and if I I apply myself, I could raise my cumulative GPA to a 3.7-3.8. How screwed am I for a chance at a lower tier/ mid tier MD? Not sure if it helps, but prior to starting the smp I had an upward trend my senior year of college and finished that year with a 3.7 gpa, even though my cumulative gpa for undergrad was 3.1.-3.2 range.

Haven't taken my mcat yet, have research experience and volunteer/clinical experience. Thanks for the advice!
It will hurt. You're supposed to ace everything in an SMP. Getting all A's int he spring semester may ameliorate this, but chances for MD will be best at your host school if it's an MD school

Reactions: 2 users

wut?

2+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
It will hurt. You're supposed to ace everything in an SMP. Getting all A's int he spring semester may ameliorate this, but chances for MD will be best at your host school if it's an MD school
Is there anything else I can do to make up for the C+, if that's even possible? I was hoping that 2 more semesters of straight A's would show that I've grown and outweigh a rough adjustment to the smp in my first semester as this is my only C.

About the Ads

Med4sci

Probationary Status
Jan 7, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical

Your gpa in the SMP IS FINE don’t let these over achieving , highly narcissistic sounding individuals talk you into thinking low about yourself . Yes you got a c+ but look at the gpa in the program. It’s still good just talk about it in your interview if asked . Take accountability. Good luck

• Dislike
  • Inappropriate
Reactions: 4 users

GoPenguinsGo

2+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Your gpa in the SMP IS FINE don’t let these over achieving , highly narcissistic sounding individuals talk you into thinking low about yourself . Yes you got a c+ but look at the gpa in the program. It’s still good just talk about it in your interview if asked . Take accountability. Good luck
Why is it every time I see a comment from you, you’re always angry?

BeingForItself

5+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student (Accepted)

I feel like it would be impossible to say without an MCAT and a final SMP GPA. I know people with lower SMP GPAs (<3.5) who still landed MD interviews and acceptances, but also had absolutely stellar MCAT scores (518+) and loaded resumes (research and clinical work). What that C+ is ultimately going to mean depends heavily on whether you can really get to that 3.7-3.8 like you say and/or crush the MCAT. Good luck!

Reactions: 5 users

YCAGA

2+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I guess people might come across as arrogant when you yourself have no idea what you’re talking about 🤔

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

Goro

SDN Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Advise as in telling people they not getting into medical school or telling them their stats when they never taken the mcat? Aw okay “realistic “ sure 🙃
Going to model good SDN behavior and apply the Ignore function. You'll feel some pressure right between the eyes.

• Haha
About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.