This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wut?

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
To make a long story short, I'm currently doing an SMP and got a C+ in one of my classes. I have 2 more semesters left for the program and if I I apply myself, I could raise my cumulative GPA to a 3.7-3.8. How screwed am I for a chance at a lower tier/ mid tier MD? Not sure if it helps, but prior to starting the smp I had an upward trend my senior year of college and finished that year with a 3.7 gpa, even though my cumulative gpa for undergrad was 3.1.-3.2 range.

Haven't taken my mcat yet, have research experience and volunteer/clinical experience. Thanks for the advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 1 user
To make a long story short, I'm currently doing an SMP and got a C+ in one of my classes. I have 2 more semesters left for the program and if I I apply myself, I could raise my cumulative GPA to a 3.7-3.8. How screwed am I for a chance at a lower tier/ mid tier MD? Not sure if it helps, but prior to starting the smp I had an upward trend my senior year of college and finished that year with a 3.7 gpa, even though my cumulative gpa for undergrad was 3.1.-3.2 range.

Haven't taken my mcat yet, have research experience and volunteer/clinical experience. Thanks for the advice!
It will hurt. You're supposed to ace everything in an SMP. Getting all A's int he spring semester may ameliorate this, but chances for MD will be best at your host school if it's an MD school

Reactions: 2 users
It will hurt. You're supposed to ace everything in an SMP. Getting all A's int he spring semester may ameliorate this, but chances for MD will be best at your host school if it's an MD school
Is there anything else I can do to make up for the C+, if that's even possible? I was hoping that 2 more semesters of straight A's would show that I've grown and outweigh a rough adjustment to the smp in my first semester as this is my only C.

Members don't see this ad :)

Your gpa in the SMP IS FINE don’t let these over achieving , highly narcissistic sounding individuals talk you into thinking low about yourself . Yes you got a c+ but look at the gpa in the program. It’s still good just talk about it in your interview if asked . Take accountability. Good luck

• Dislike
  • Inappropriate
Reactions: 6 users
Your gpa in the SMP IS FINE don’t let these over achieving , highly narcissistic sounding individuals talk you into thinking low about yourself . Yes you got a c+ but look at the gpa in the program. It’s still good just talk about it in your interview if asked . Take accountability. Good luck
Why is it every time I see a comment from you, you’re always angry?

Reactions: 3 users
What’s wrong with overachieving lol

Reactions: 1 user

I feel like it would be impossible to say without an MCAT and a final SMP GPA. I know people with lower SMP GPAs (<3.5) who still landed MD interviews and acceptances, but also had absolutely stellar MCAT scores (518+) and loaded resumes (research and clinical work). What that C+ is ultimately going to mean depends heavily on whether you can really get to that 3.7-3.8 like you say and/or crush the MCAT. Good luck!

Reactions: 5 users
I guess people might come across as arrogant when you yourself have no idea what you’re talking about 🤔

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Advise as in telling people they not getting into medical school or telling them their stats when they never taken the mcat? Aw okay “realistic “ sure 🙃
Going to model good SDN behavior and apply the Ignore function. You'll feel some pressure right between the eyes.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users