Chances & should I apply to more schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mikep_3601

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi! I usually don't post something like this but the nerves are eating me alive so here it goes:
Date of submission: This june
Overall GPA: 3.8+ (low 3.8)
Science GPA:
3.8+ (low 3.8)
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA:
3.8+ (low 3.8)
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
AA 24; TS 24; OC 24; GC 22; BIO 26; RC 22; QR 27; PAT 21
State of Residence: NC

Undergrad Attended: UNC CH
Major: bio (BS), chem (BA)
Minor: history
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 100+, 4 generals 1 peds
Volunteering Experience: been to 2 MOM clinics so like 10+ hours but didn't get a chance to go to many more bc of COVID
Employment:
Teacher - Summer - taught 8th grade science to economically disadvantaged and first generation 7th graders in the triangle area to prepare them for the upcoming grade
R&D Intern - Summer - logistical things nothing too crazy
Research: 340 hrs+ as a part of a synthetic polymer lab - no publications
Other Extracurriculars: VP of dental club
Relevant Honors or Awards: deans list
LOR type and strength: 1 dentist (strong), 3 sciences (two are strongish, other not strong)
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:
My dad died my freshman year so my grades took a real turn during those first two semesters i've used that as a strength to push through college and try to make him proud. He was a physician so at his wake all I heard about was how he impacted and changed the lives of so many in my community and i wanted a part of that. I didn't really know if I wanted to do health related or what but I knew I wanted to have that same impact. I really tried to explore all career paths and I feel like my resume and transcript reflects that. I feel satisfied with my college experience and that journey to see what field I could have the most impact in. I fell in love with dentistry because of the familiarity with patients (seeing them twice a year) and face-to-face interaction, I really loved MOM clinics but they all got canceled during COVID 🙁 any feedback on my chances of getting in and if I should expand my net would be so appreciated!

Schools: UNC, LSU (my extended family lives in LA and my parents graduated from here, grew up bleeding purple & gold), UCSF (reach), ECU, and UMD (my brother lives in baltimore)
 
Hi! I usually don't post something like this but the nerves are eating me alive so here it goes:
Date of submission: This june
Overall GPA: 3.8+ (low 3.8)
Science GPA: 3.8+ (low 3.8)
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.8+ (low 3.8)
DAT score (include AA and all sections): AA 24; TS 24; OC 24; GC 22; BIO 26; RC 22; QR 27; PAT 21
State of Residence: NC

Undergrad Attended: UNC CH
Major: bio (BS), chem (BA)
Minor: history
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 100+, 4 generals 1 peds
Volunteering Experience: been to 2 MOM clinics so like 10+ hours but didn't get a chance to go to many more bc of COVID
Employment:
Teacher - Summer - taught 8th grade science to economically disadvantaged and first generation 7th graders in the triangle area to prepare them for the upcoming grade
R&D Intern - Summer - logistical things nothing too crazy
Research: 340 hrs+ as a part of a synthetic polymer lab - no publications
Other Extracurriculars: VP of dental club
Relevant Honors or Awards: deans list
LOR type and strength: 1 dentist (strong), 3 sciences (two are strongish, other not strong)
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: My dad died my freshman year so my grades took a real turn during those first two semesters i've used that as a strength to push through college and try to make him proud. He was a physician so at his wake all I heard about was how he impacted and changed the lives of so many in my community and i wanted a part of that. I didn't really know if I wanted to do health related or what but I knew I wanted to have that same impact. I really tried to explore all career paths and I feel like my resume and transcript reflects that. I feel satisfied with my college experience and that journey to see what field I could have the most impact in. I fell in love with dentistry because of the familiarity with patients (seeing them twice a year) and face-to-face interaction, I really loved MOM clinics but they all got canceled during COVID 🙁 any feedback on my chances of getting in and if I should expand my net would be so appreciated!

Schools: UNC, LSU (my extended family lives in LA and my parents graduated from here, grew up bleeding purple & gold), UCSF (reach), ECU, and UMD (my brother lives in baltimore)
looks good
you should, of course, do everything you can to get into UNC or ECU
add 2 or 3 safety schools
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad