Changing majors advice

Started by jas1212
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jas1212

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Good afternoon,

To start off with, let me provide a brief synopsis of my academic career to date. First semester, I was studying industrial engineering and received a 3.61 GPA, albeit with only 12 graded credits. I felt that industrial engineering was a very boring and kind of dull field of employment, so I changed my major to finance for the second semester of my freshman year.

As a finance major, I earned a 4.0 GPA with 12 graded credits once again. Towards the end of freshman year, I felt that I was not fulfilling my potential in studying business, so I chose to switch into electrical engineering.The purpose for me having only 12 graded credits in both semesters was that I dropped one class each semester because I was planning on switching majors.

Finally, sophomore year arrived. Coming in hot off of a summer of working behind a meat counter, I was poised to start off strong with my studies. Through midterms, I had been earned A's all in my courses--integral calculus, calc-based physics, materials science & engineering, and engineering programming.

At this same time, I was looking heavily into a nuclear submarine officer program where I would earn a monthly salary as a student and subsequently enter the nuclear officer pipeline. I was so pumped about this program that I actually switched my major from electrical engineering to mechanical engineering as mechanical engineering fit better with the program.

Towards the end of the semester, I learned a lot more about the nuke program, and it did not really sound like something I could see myself doing. I became an absolute ***** for the last half of the semester and ended up dropping another class and slacking off a little bit, ending up with a 3.31 GPA for the semester.

Spring semester here we are. I started off in mechanical engineering, but just chose to take a wide variety of classes to see which fields I was most interested in. I took an accounting course, two history courses, and an intermediate microeconomics course. In summary, I have a new-found respect for accounting professionals, and neither of the other two classes really piqued my interests. GPA wise, I will get a 3.7 or so.

Today, April 25, 2015, Right now I am a finance major and have been toying with the idea of switching into just about every field there is. I even looked at joining the Border Patrol for a brief period of time. I sat down recently and did some hard thinking about what I want in a job.

What I realized that I wanted was the ability to work with people, but be independent in my work at the same time. A chance to help others and earn security for my self and future family are two other things that I highly prize in a career.

My mother told me that I should seriously consider practicing medicine or dentistry. Other than typical checkups, I have had no experience in the field of dentistry. In two days, I am going to watch a dentist perform a root canal and hopefully that will be interesting. From all of the information that I have read, dentistry seems to be very interesting and a much better fit for me than medicine. If I find out first hand what it is like to be a dentist, I would not hesitate to make a commitment to that profession.

The reason I am in finance right now is essentially as it would be a good backup plan. To be honest, the thought of sitting in front of a computer all day and analyzing financial data sounds kind of awful to me. I have seriously considered switching my major to history as it would be better than finance at least. If I really find an interest in dental work, I may even switch to biology.

Bottom line: I will have to make a decision for myself-- which I have not proven to be very good at. I would really appreciate a little advice regarding anything essentially.