This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

edgydoc

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Honestly, it's going to depend on the specific position. But it doesn't hurt to just apply to the CRC II positions and see what happens! I was hired to the equivalent of a CRC III (my institution has a different name for them) without clinical research experience but I did have relevant experience in the field they conduct research.

at my institution, we also have different title names but I think it's equivalent here in your scenario. less than 2 years of research experience gives you the title of Research Associate while over 2 years would give you the RC title.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did it matter if your research experience was clinical or not?

My experience was quite clinical but.... that was because I was actually an intern at the same place and same PI before I got the job offer. That said, because of the job training provided, I think past research experience in any field, clinical or not, is still just as valid. My coworker was a humanities major in college with no background in anything clinical but she worked at a cancer center before eventually coming to my site. I think so long as you display yourself as someone who can "coordinate" studies, you can get the job

I will say, I don't know if you found a job posting already that led you to posting this thread, but with covid, research has taken a hit. If your clinical research involves having patients as participants, there is the issue that folks aren't just coming in for an on-site study. If the study is done in an in-patient setting or if it can be done remotely, then you're ok there. If you're looking at wet lab bench research, there are now restrictions as to how many people can be in a lab at a given time. at my site, those labs opened up just about 2 months ago and only 1 person was allowed in at a time. Academic medical centers are losing money and grants from sponsors are murky come 2021 and beyond when it's time for renewal. it's not a gloom and doom situation but just beware that if you don't get the job, it's not because you are unqualified or something. good luck