colic as a verb

Started by db713
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

db713

MS State CVM c/o 2017!
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So...almost done with my PS (Well one of many drafts) and am planning on using colic as a verb, as most riders/vets do. colicked colicking. Well....what is the proper spelling on this?? I have seen colicing and colicking. Coliced and colicked. I don't want to look like I can't spell on my PS.

Help please horse people!!!
 
Good question. I have no idea what the official answer is, if there is one, but I would go with "colicking" with a k. Unless someone knows better than I do, of course.
 
I'm pretty sure it's with a "k".

ETA that it is almost certainly with a "k". The only time it seems to be spelled without a "k" is by horse owners who probably don't know how to spell. If "colicing" is appropriate, it certainly isn't a common way of spelling it.

Good luck on your PS!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you! I have always spelled it with a k, but wasn't 100% sure if that was proper or not. Thank yall! If anyone else wants to help out on the colic thing, please do 🙂
 
I'd skip "colicking" all together (side note: we spell it "colicing" at the 9 vet equine hospital I work at... Sigh). I would say something like, the horse came in with typical signs of colic. But, that's just me 🙂