combined residency/Phd programs

Started by Anni
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Anni

New Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,
I just wanted to know if there are any residency programs in the US that allow you to do research and earn a Phd as well. If there are, in which fields are they available and how competitive are they? Also how many years are they, in length?
 
I know of a surgical resident at UCSF East Bay that earned a PhD during her research interlude. She did it in 3 years but I don't know exactly where she did her research other than it was at a university somewhere in the midwest.
 
Originally posted by Anni
Hi,
I just wanted to know if there are any residency programs in the US that allow you to do research and earn a Phd as well. If there are, in which fields are they available and how competitive are they? Also how many years are they, in length?

Check out the STAR program at UCLA. They offer a special track during residency for research and/or earning a PhD. One of the good things about their program is that you get paid during your PhD year at the appropriate PGY level. Here is their URL.

http://www.star.med.ucla.edu/general_information.htm