Common Ion Effect

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DrRoyal Pains

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can someone elaborate on this: Mixing 500ml of 2x10-5M AgNO3 with 500ml of 1x10-5M NaCl dilutes both concentrations in half (You can use M1V1 = M2V2 to figure this out). These final concentrations after mixing are therefore 1x10-5M AgNO3 and 0.5x10-5M NaCl or 5.0x10-6M NaCl. I just copy and pasted this which is an explanation from one of Chad's quizzes. I understand the question, but why are the concentration's halved? (I also know mixing the two gives you AgCl (s) and NaNO3 (s)). I am obv. missing something.
 
If you plug in MV=MV for lets say AgNO3,
you get (2E-5)(500)=M(1000)

The 1000 comes from the total of the 2 different solutions. So if you solve for M, you get half.