This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LOTRdr

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How is the rest of your app (research, volunteering, shadowing, clinical experience)?

I think your MCAT is probably at a pretty good place. You're GPA isn't the best, but not point of no return bad.

I think if the rest of your app is in line, you should have a solid shot at a DO school.

You could have course go for MD acceptance for sure, but I would recommend applying with a solid complement of DO schools on there.

I wouldn't retake, but be aware that the MCAT has a 3 year use by date. Your scores expire so if you're not applying in the next two or three cycles you will need to retake. A 514 is above average though.

Don't plan to apply in the fall, applying early is actually really important. You should aim to submit your app in June or so.

I'm in a real similar situation regarding work/life struggles. Tbh I'm coming to the realization that I need to put one thing down and focus on the premed stuff. I'm a software engineer FT and also teach code PT on top of premed + adult life with my partner and a house. I'm quitting my main job asap to focus on school because luckily my PT gig is enough to float my expenses. I'd suggest taking a look at your current schedule and finding fat to trim, otherwise you're gonna be hella stressed.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you don't have clinical experience of any kind yet I'd put it off til next cycle. Also, I'd recommend adding another non-profit targeting the poor or a minority group. Most DO schools are mission based, meaning they're all about serving those less fortunate, so you gotta walk the walk on that too. You will not get into anywhere with your current stats and no hours.

Also, actually filling out the app itself takes probably 20-40+ hours on its own including personal statement and all that. I've heard people say you should start writing your PS like 1 year to 6 months ahead of time so you have lots of editing room.

My advice is to quit or pause some less important activities, pick up a volunteering shift at a hospital, and find some non-profit that helps the needy or a minority group. If you've got all/most of the pre-reqs you've really just got to focus on the ECs. One year worth of hours will put you into the upper tier DO / lower tier MD echelon imo. The numbers I've seen to aim for are ~50 shadowing, ~200+ medical, ~200+ volunteering.

Of course take all this with some salt because I'm also not even an applicant yet. :)

I don't think you need to retake the MCAT as long as you apply in time. A really high MCAT won't make up for grades and a 514 is already above average as someone pointed out. Plus if you retake, you risk getting the same or lower which doesn't look as good.

If you polish off your courses and all the required pre-reqs with As and bring your GPA up to around a 3.3 or 3.4, keep your MCAT as is, and round our your application with the other things discussed in the thread, I think you have a really good solid shot at a DO acceptance and possibly some lower tier MDs depending.

Status
Not open for further replies.