DDS's/DMD's - MD needs a dentist!

Started by Apollyon
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Apollyon

Screw the GST
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a resident at Duke, and they've given me dental insurance (since it's Duke, that means whatever I want, anywhere). Last year, I had work at NYU Dental School (a root canal), and it was fine.

Now, UNC-Chapel Hill (1/2 hour away) has a dental school and clinic, and a faculty practice, and there are pages and pages of dental practitioners in and around the Triangle area (and, if you know the Triangle, there are some REALLY brainy people, so the medical/dental professionals are some of the best), so I don't know which way to turn.

I will need some more endodontics, and want some orthodontics. What do I want to ask, what board certification/membership matters/doesn't matter, and what? My dentist as a child was chosen by my parents (and he screwed me, which is why I need ortho work now), and a great doc bought his practice, but he too has retired (and is in NY, anyhow).

I liked the NYU clinic, but I went there because the price was right. Now, the money doesn't matter.

Any advice? Thanks!
 
I'd check out the faculty practices at the UNC dental school. These guys are instructors after all, who teach what they know to the dental students (and demand work as close to ideal as possible from said students!).

Good luck!
 
The orthodontics dept at UNC is considered top notch, so I would go with UB Tom's suggestion and go to their faculty practice.

As far as certification/membership goes, if you want the best orthodontics or endodontics, go to the specialist. A specialist is someone who advertises as "practice limited to orthodontics" or something along those lines. There are plenty of general dentists who do endodontics & orthodontics and do it well, but it is harder to judge which general dentists have had additional extensive training in those disciplines. With the specialist, you know that s/he does only that discipline all day, so you could be fairly certain they are proficient at it.

Ever since I've started dental school, I've sent my family members to the faculty practice, because I've seen the actual cases they've treated when they lecture us in class and I know they can do what they claim.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad