Decision to be made

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

iwantneurosurg

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sorry for the multiple posts, but my question is this:

I go to Jefferson Med School, and it appears Dr. Rosenwasser, current department chair of neurosurgery here at Jeff, is apparently a big name that most neurosurgeons know.

I was skeptical at first when I heard this from the neurosurgeons I do research with at the department, but even the CT and orthopods indicated that getting to know him would be most excellent for recommendations.

He is very difficult to get a hold of however, and the best way to meet him is to actually do a neurosurgery rotation here at Jefferson.

However, I want to do my residency elsewhere.

Thus, should I do my rotation here at Jeff (I'm only a first year now) in order to get a reccomendation from him, or should I do the rotation elsewhere where I want to go?

In case you can't tell, I'm quite interested in neurosurgery, and thus would appreciate all advice.
 
iwantneurosurg said:
Sorry for the multiple posts, but my question is this:

I go to Jefferson Med School, and it appears Dr. Rosenwasser, current department chair of neurosurgery here at Jeff, is apparently a big name that most neurosurgeons know.

I was skeptical at first when I heard this from the neurosurgeons I do research with at the department, but even the CT and orthopods indicated that getting to know him would be most excellent for recommendations.

He is very difficult to get a hold of however, and the best way to meet him is to actually do a neurosurgery rotation here at Jefferson.

However, I want to do my residency elsewhere.

Thus, should I do my rotation here at Jeff (I'm only a first year now) in order to get a reccomendation from him, or should I do the rotation elsewhere where I want to go?

In case you can't tell, I'm quite interested in neurosurgery, and thus would appreciate all advice.
As MPP has mentioned before, it would also be a good idea to start attending the weekly conferences that I'm sure they probably have. The more you show your face, the better your recommendation will be. I would also try to do some elective neurosurgery time during your third year surgery rotation. I agree with MPP in doing a rotation at your home institution and at the place you want to match.