• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

Declare learning disability status?

RowaH

10+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2007
    Hello everyone,

I was wondering if it would be a good idea to declare LD status when entering university first year. There are a number of benefits to this, such as increased scholarships and increased time for testing, but there are also a number of risks, such as the potential for bias on my med school application.

I have strong documentation concerning my LD status, so it won't be a problem. By the way, my LD is related to slow reading speeds. My educational psychologist determined that I had a VERY low processing speed, both quantitatively and qualitatively.

Cranial Gavage

10+ Year Member
    Oct 14, 2007
    1. Medical Student
      I was wondering if it would be a good idea to declare LD status when entering university first year. There are a number of benefits to this, such as increased scholarships and increased time for testing, but there are also a number of risks, such as the potential for bias on my med school application.

Tell us a little more about what you mean by "declaring" LD status. I'm not sure what this means or where it would appear in your record.

My initial response is that medical schools probably would not see that information. They require official college transcripts, MCAT scores, GPA, Letters of Recommendation, and various essays. You need to find out if your LD status would appear on your transcript or not. (Ask your advisor.)

Declaring LD may substantially enhance your college experience as you indicated above. Focus on the undergraduate coursework for now, and worry about the rest later.

stellastarr

10+ Year Member
      7+ Year Member
      Sep 13, 2007
        I don't think it shows up anywhere on your transcript, but if does show up if you use special accomodations for the MCAT.

If you truly need the extra time then take advantage of it when it's offered to you in undergrad, but I personally wouldn't feel comfortable taking the MCAT under special conditions and having that as part of my record.

About the Ads

doinmybest5840

10+ Year Member
        5+ Year Member
        May 18, 2007
        Michigan
        1. Pre-Medical
          I don't think it shows up anywhere on your transcript, but if does show up if you use special accomodations for the MCAT.

If you truly need the extra time then take advantage of it when it's offered to you in undergrad, but I personally wouldn't feel comfortable taking the MCAT under special conditions and having that as part of my record.
          I agree with this post. If it is going to be part of your record, I would say to do your best without it. I would personally be worried about negative bias because of a learning disorder, or people not really knowing what it is and thinking you're making stuff up. I don't think many people realize that slow reading can actually be for a reason other than a dislike for reading and/or laziness, and assume that anybody who "reads slowly" just isn't trying. At least, that's the impression I've gotten with a lot of people (my brother is very intelligent but also reads slowly). Anyway, it really depends how slowly you actually read. Depending on your speed, most classes may be fine. A lot of my classes tend to give 30-60 minutes extra (e.g. make a test that is supposed to take 60 minutes but give the class 90-120 minutes to do it for people who like to take their time or read slowly). You may only need it in certain classes, in which case it might not be a problem in regards to showing up on some sort of record. Honestly though, I have no idea if that ever shows up.

futuredrcrawfor

10+ Year Member
          Dec 17, 2006
          1. Pre-Medical
            Hello everyone,

I have strong documentation concerning my LD status, so it won't be a problem. By the way, my LD is related to slow reading speeds. My educational psychologist determined that I had a VERY low processing speed, both quantitatively and qualitatively.

my brother has the same issues and is VERY low (ie 3% processing speed) some was pre-existing the rest from a accident that left him with broken skull, neck, back, ribs...

I would recommend it cuz with the slow processing speed taking test can be very stressful. Also check out the Center for Blind and Dyslexic online. My brothers neuropsychologist recommended it and they actually will provide you almost all your college books on audio format- I think there is an app fee and then like 35 dollars a year. I checked out of curiosity and they had all my books (orgo, bio, chem, phys, etc)...you do sign a contract stating you wont share and you have to buy some software cuz it can make the audio go to a page, paragraph, or even a word you want with the click of a button.

So if you are interested in that program go for it! I considered getting testing as one side of the family has major learning issues but haven't made a final decision. Mainly cuz I score well on test and have always been in the "gifted classes" so I don't think I would get approved even though I mask the condition well.

inthecity

10+ Year Member
            Aug 11, 2007
            New York, New York
            1. Pre-Medical
              LD and testing accommodations should definitely not appear on your University transcript - in fact it is illegal to do so I believe. However, should you apply and be granted extended time on the MCAT, that will be reported to AMCAS and ad coms will see it. They are supposed to not discriminate, but I have heard mixed opinions. But I do know that MCAT extended time is painfully hard to get and quite a long ordeal Definitely seek class examination accommodations though; it's your right as part of the Americans with Disabilities Act.:thumbup:

Dr_Dan_the_man

OH CANADA
              10+ Year Member
              5+ Year Member
              Jul 1, 2006
              1. Medical Student
                just out of curiosity what will you do about the MCAT?
                The test is designed to evaluate your ability to process information in a TIMED setting (expecially the VR section)

do they allow any additional time for ppl with LD's?
                Because otherwise that may be an impossible hurdle.

RowaH

10+ Year Member
                Apr 13, 2007
                  Perhaps I'm being optimistic, perhaps I'm being naive, but I plan on writing the MCAT normally, since I want to eradicate this LD before the MCAT. I don't know how I'll do it, or even if I do it, but I'm sure as hell hoping I will :D

littlealex

little tiny alex
                  10+ Year Member
                  7+ Year Member
                  Apr 5, 2007
                  1. Resident [Any Field]
                    Slow processing speed? It sounds like a euphemism for retxxxed...

Regardless, you have an uphill battle from here, take all the advantages you can get to even the playing field.

RowaH

10+ Year Member
                    Apr 13, 2007
                      I'm thinking of eradicating my disability through drugs and training. Going to take a MAOI next week (EMSAM patch) for its nootropic properties. Perhaps I'll even go for adderall.

EDIT: Not concurrently with the MAOI of course!

About the Ads
                      This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                      7. This thread is locked.