This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wittgenstein

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
It entirely depends on the school that accepts you, most have some kind of deferral policy if there is a "once in a lifetime" opportunity that you can pursue between wherever you are coming from and matriculation into their medical school. You'd have to call the school up and see what their policy is, and if your situation fits their requirements for deferral.

So what's the motive to stick with the projects? External pressure because it would be hard to train up a replacement short notice? Or internally you're really that invested in the projects you'd be unhappy leaving early?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
would be first or second author on 2-3 papers that come out of them
Would you not still be included as an author if you were replaced in a few months?

I may end up in a position where I'm waitlisted and don't get accepted to a school until very late in the summer
I think you can work out deferment very quickly. Like as soon as you get the admit, talk to whoever is in charge of approving deferments about your situation. If they hear you're about to write a bunch of papers and are the primary author they will likely allow the deferment.

Not close. It would take the extra year to finish the analysis and write unfortunately.
You mean it would take the extra year to finish the data gathering? No way would it take a year just to do the stats and writeup, right? I'm saying someone could take over for you in August and finish data gathering, and then you could still be involved in the writing

If I stay, I would write the papers (first author). If not, my boss would (second author).

Will do. Thanks for your help!

I would much rather take the acceptance and be a second author.... thats 200k+ of future salary you are turning down to be a first author over second? Not worth it at all.

Yeah, the clinical trial ends in November and we expect it to take ~4 months to proof all of the data, do the analysis, and write the paper(s). It's a major project so it'll take some time. Once I leave, it'll be hard for me to be too involved in the writing process given the nature of the project and the time needed to do the analysis and writing.

Yeah, it definitely doesn't make sense for me to do this for a financial reason. I just really enjoy the research and have become quite attached to the projects. I was just curious that, if I chose to remain at my job for another year, that med schools would find this an acceptable reason.

Yeah I am in a similar position in my lab so I get your thought.. I think you could probably convince a school to let you defer, but IMO it would not be worth it. I would do as much as you can on the project and then try to help remotely while away at school. Set up potential conference calls with your PI and the person taking your spot so that everything is running smooth... If the trail ends in November, you realistically will only not be there for the final ~3 months of data collection. Analysis and paper writing can typically be done remotely.

Yeah, the clinical trial ends in November and we expect it to take ~4 months to proof all of the data, do the analysis, and write the paper(s). It's a major project so it'll take some time. Once I leave, it'll be hard for me to be too involved in the writing process given the nature of the project and the time needed to do the analysis and writing.

Yeah, it definitely doesn't make sense for me to do this for a financial reason. I just really enjoy the research and have become quite attached to the projects. I was just curious that, if I chose to remain at my job for another year, that med schools would find this an acceptable reason.
Whoaaa dude, your PI is letting you do the analysis and write the paper for a clinical trial with that much data? Are you a non trad already many years into this?

I guess this is all a bit moot though, since even after getting in off WL you have gonnif's point that some schools will just refuse to give you the year. So I think it's a cross the bridge if you come to it type decision.