"Degree Granting Institution"

Started by nairopil
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

nairopil

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am currently in the throes of secondary applications, and much to my chagrin, I keep seeing this requirement. A handful of the schools I'm applying to want a letter from the degree granting institution, and some what a letter from the "major department". I have letters from professors and my premed advisor at my postbac program, but trying to get letters from people who taught me over 8 years ago at my undergrad institution is like pulling teeth. My applications are otherwise ready, and I hate to have them sitting around while I hunt for extra letters. Anyone else run into this? Anyone have success with asking for exception or a work-around?
 
Have you called and explained your situation to the specific school(s)? I had a situation like that on a certain secondary, where if you transferred during your undergrad career they wanted letters from a professor at each institution (for me that would've involved getting letters from people I was taught by 15 years ago).

I called the medical school and briefly explained what the circumstances were, and they had no problem with my writing a short explanation on the secondary just like I'd said on the phone. They said it'd be fine, it happens, especially with non-traditionals.

So I encourage you to reach out to your schools! Some may be inflexible and in that case you might have to call it a loss, but I'm willing to bet you'll find quite a few are okay with it.