Degree Options

Started by uli2000
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

uli2000

Junior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, I got a question or two. Im a RT and am getting ready to apply next year to PA school. I know the proffession is moving towards post-bac education, but there are many batchelor's and even still a few associate's degree programs. I currently dont hold a batchelor's, and was looking at a batchelor's level program. By doing so, am I limiting my potential as a PA? Will I have a harder time getting a job or residency because I dont hold a masters. I figured it would be so if I went the associates option (community trained PA), but will I be stuck comming out of school with only a batchelor's?
 
As an rt you have a great background for pa school. get the bs now then do a postgraduate masters program. there are several that can be done in 1-2 years while working full time. all the np's(the compettion) now have an ms degree, so it is best to have one as a pa because many jobs are posted as pa/np and you don't want to give them an excuse not to hire you because you don't have an ms. university of nebraska has a postgrad ms program that costs around 3k that can be done in 1 year. good luck.
 
i worked in a rad dept for 2 1/2 years, and knew of one angio tech who is going on to become an RPA-RADIOLOGY PRACTITIONER'S ASSISTANT (not rpa as commonly seen-Registered Phys. Asst.). i think the school's in vegas, but he can do all his clinicals locally, and take classes online, and only have to be out there once a month or something. he even has a private practice funding this (2 yr program i think), AND they already have a job waiting for him when he's done!! obviously as a PA you can do anytning in medicine you want, but as a Practitioner's Assistant you have to stay in radiology. however i do believe you get to do more IN the scope of radiology. for instance, i know a PA who's in angio who only does central lines and picc's, but i think this guy, when he becomes a Pract. Asst. will be able to do angiography, peg tubes, etc. maybe even some stenting. check it out. you have to be an RT for a few years to qualify, but if you want to stay in radiology that might be the ticket!! good luck! peace -jd
 
Thanks for the ideas. I should have been more specific though Jeff, Im a respiratory therapist, not a radiation technologist. I forgot we have been downgraded by everybody as RCP now instead of RT like it used to be.