deleted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I'm pretty new to finances and am learning about cash/defined benefits plans.

Say I am a single 30 year-old attending making 500k/year as a 1099 contractor doing full-time locums.

Would I be able to invest 66k (max limit) to my solo 401k and 70k into my cash balance plan pre-tax and thus easily save 320k/year while spending 60k/year in a medium COL zero state tax state? This sounds too good to be true...


Sounds roughly right. At least Back of the napkin math that i just did in my head seems to support it. Probably could be even lower if you deduct appropriate business expenses.

When we made 500k, we probably saved 270-280k a year because our expenses were minimal since we lived in a 2 bedroom apartment in one of the cheapest cities in the US.