This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adam_elayan

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you got a pretty-looking mouth and health-conscience; going to the dentist twice a year - Yeah, dental insurance helps out and almost covers it.
But those with white teeth and low-income, just don't see the point of going to one if they never don't have pain or issue. I personally know a few that haven't been to a dentist in years simply because they never had a cavity and just brush their teeth everyday.
Those with serious dental problems, that would cost $1700 and over, dental insurance is pretty much of a waste since it has a terrible deductible(simply put, it doesn't cover much)
It's pretty simple to understand.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello fellow SDNers! I've recently written a research paper trying to see what are the major factors stopping people from going to the dentist. My results found that people creditied a lack of insurance coverage as well as a lack of education about the importance of dental health. With all the studies showing that oral health has a influence to one's overall health and vice versa, I'm curious to see your opinons on having dental care included in our government's healthcare plan. Dental care seems to take a backseat when discussing healthcare reform. Or do you think education about the importance of dental health is the key to getting people to go to the dentist? I personally feel both should be addressed in some fashion.
I've been a dental assistant for 14 years, so I'll give you both my opinion and my bosses opinion.

I think dentist have always been thought of as "sadistic demons from Hell." People think the worst of dentist, since office visits usually go hand in hand with pain. Either the patient comes in with pain, or they had to have some work done involving a shot which can cause pain. Also the sound of the drill is a bit unnerving and brings on more fear.

As for insurance, coverage hasn't changed much over the last 30 years, $1,000-1,500 per year. However, the cost of a crown has gone from $350 to over $1000 each. Insurance companies need to fix the maximum coverage limit to the updated cost.

As for making it part of the government healthcare plan, My boss is so glad that's not the case. He said the government already has too much say in the medical field (that's why there are less doctors and more PA's in the field). He thinks if the government got involved in the dental field it would only cause more issues than it already has.

I don't know if our opinions are accurate or not, but this is just our thoughts to your questions.

Reactions: 2 users
Just a note-the main reason cited in the studies I have read are that people who don't go to the dentist state they have no dental pain/problem at that time.