Did I make a mistake when expressing my professional interests?

ChemEtoMD23

Can theoretically manufacture plastic
Oct 14, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student (Accepted)
In my applications to highly-ranked, research-heavy schools, I made clear my interest in both research and rural medicine. Was this a mistake? In hindsight, I feel like I should have kept the latter part under wraps, because it sorta implies that I don’t have an interest in academia (which I don’t, but I’d still like to contribute to clinical research).

Goro

SDN Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
In my applications to highly-ranked, research-heavy schools, I made clear my interest in both research and rural medicine. Was this a mistake? In hindsight, I feel like I should have kept the latter part under wraps, because it sorta implies that I don’t have an interest in academia (which I don’t, but I’d still like to contribute to clinical research).
If you're a person who grew up in the suburbs and never has set foot in a rural location, then you'll be seen as disingenuous or naïve. If you have experiences in both, then you'll be fine. Walk the walk, don't merely talk the talk.

Reactions: 2 users

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
15+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Academic Administration
it is possible to engage in clinical research in a rural setting. There may even be studies to determine manners of treating common diseases that are less taxing and thus more acceptable on rural patients compared with the status quo. (Eg. a shorter course of more intense treatment meaning fewer visits or a shorter time away from home compared with usual care).

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads

ChemEtoMD23

Can theoretically manufacture plastic
Oct 14, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student (Accepted)
If you're a person who grew up in the suburbs and never has set foot in a rural location, then you'll be seen as disingenuous or naïve. If you have experiences in both, then you'll be fine. Walk the walk, don't merely talk the talk.
it is possible to engage in clinical research in a rural setting. There may even be studies to determine manners of treating common diseases that are less taxing and thus more acceptable on rural patients compared with the status quo. (Eg. a shorter course of more intense treatment meaning fewer visits or a shorter time away from home compared with usual care).
Current Projects of the Rural Health Research Centers

There are many schools that have a center on rural health and much research takes place on the subject.

Thanks all for your input and advice!

Reactions: 1 users
About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.