DVS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sportsmed711

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 1 user
I'm totally not an expert, but I wouldn't go there. What you went through sounds like fertile ground for an overcoming adversity essay, but you just don't sound disadvantaged to me.

Self described middle class upbringing, surviving parent is a fully employed college graduate who was able and willing to pay for your education, etc., etc., etc. Your financial circumstances did not lead to a resource deficit that adversely impacted your educational opportunities growing up, which is really what they are getting at here.

Checking that box will likely cause adcoms to believe you are trying to game the system, which it does not appear you are trying to do. That's why I'd stay away from it. You don't need it, and it's not going to help you. JMHO as a non-expert.

Reactions: 5 users
I'm totally not an expert, but I wouldn't go there. What you went through sounds like fertile ground for an overcoming adversity essay, but you just don't sound disadvantaged to me.

Self described middle class upbringing, surviving parent is a fully employed college graduate who was able and willing to pay for your education, etc., etc., etc. Your financial circumstances did not lead to a resource deficit that adversely impacted your educational opportunities growing up, which is really what they are getting at here.

Checking that box will likely cause adcoms to believe you are trying to game the system, which it does not appear you are trying to do. That's why I'd stay away from it. You don't need it, and it's not going to help you. JMHO as a non-expert.
Great thank you, that's what I was leaning towards and want to do. Just wasn't sure if it was necessary to check it off since I did receive government assistance.

Reactions: 2 users
Great thank you, that's what I was leaning towards and want to do. Just wasn't sure if it was necessary to check it off since I did receive government assistance.
Yes, but your government assistance was a statutory entitlement based on a government insurance plan (Social Security) your dad paid into. It was not need tested, like food stamps, etc. MANY millionaire senior citizens collect Social Security.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, but your government assistance was a statutory entitlement based on a government insurance plan (Social Security) your dad paid into. It was not need tested, like food stamps, etc. MANY millionaire senior citizens collect Social Security.
Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for clarifying.

I have read several preexisting posts, including those from admins, but I cannot decide if I should mark disadvantaged on my application.

Brief overview: Middle-class upbringing, good community and school system, father was diagnosed with a chronic degenerative illness when i was in 7th grade then passed while a freshman in HS. My siblings and myself received SSI until the age of 18 as a result. Mother has a bachelors and is a teacher, 0-18 income was 50k-75k average taking in account the shift from 5 to 4 household members. Worked from 14+, was not required to supplement family income. Graduated HS with slightly above a C average GPA, went to a state college, got my **** together and graduated with a 3.8+. My mom wanted to pay for my education and takes great pride in doing so, therefore personal contributions and loan contributions are a minority percentage compared to family contribution. Graduated 2 years ago, pay my own rent, car payment, overall I'm financially independent.

While the event surely contributed to my lackluster high school performance, and limited my options for college (didn't have access to a premed advisor, let alone a committee), I feel grateful for the primary and secondary family support I receive. I am never the one to milk my circumstances and rarely speak of it. Most of my professors, PI's, coaches don't know about it. The last thing I want to do is to check that box off and play to the worlds smallest violin but I understand receiving SSI is selection criteria. Overall i'm happy with how things have gone since, and the event has contributed strengths as an individual and my successes with various activities. Whether I got dealt a bad hand? Perhaps, but there are many others who have had a much more severe childhood upcoming as observed relentlessly at my job.

My questions are: Does my situation qualify? Is it in my best interest to check the box, what would happen if I didn't? if so, can I keep the essay informative and concise but brief?

I appreciate any help provided.
No. You were impacted by your dad’s sickness and death. Everything you did(job , average grades etc) were as a result of that experience. Your mom is a college grad who managed to pay for your education. I’ve read about applicants who lived in a car, stole food from college dining halls, showered in the Gym, etc. Now that’s bad circumstances. Besides I thought( and I guess I thought wrong) that disadvantaged was more related to educational opportunities during elementary and high school. And if that is the case you still aren’t disadvantaged according to what you described:”Middle-class upbringing, good community and school system,…”.

It seems you are more fortunate than some but certainly not as fortunate as others.

The gov't assistance pertains more to the "means tested" help such as public housing or Section 8 voucher, Medicaid, temporary assistance to needy families (TANF), and supplemental food assistance program (SNAP). Essentially, these are indicators that a family is living in poverty which is what the disadvantaged self-description is getting at.

The gov't assistance pertains more to the "means tested" help such as public housing or Section 8 voucher, Medicaid, temporary assistance to needy families (TANF), and supplemental food assistance program (SNAP). Essentially, these are indicators that a family is living in poverty which is what the disadvantaged self-description is getting at.
Or even the SSI that disabled people living below the poverty line receive, which is what OP was confusing his SSI survivor benefit with!

So as a recipient of Medicaid since middle school, free lunch through programs K-12 (but not food stamps), and the Pell Grant now in college, would I qualify as disadvantaged even though I grew up in a relatively middle class county?

So as a recipient of Medicaid since middle school, free lunch through programs K-12 (but not food stamps), and the Pell Grant now in college, would I qualify as disadvantaged even though I grew up in a relatively middle class county?
Yes -- it's not about the county. It's about your family.

Reactions: 3 users
Even though I went to one of the best IB high schools in the country ( through lottery system and the entrance exams) ?
Closer call, since that would definitely diminish any claim to lack of educational opportunities. It's ultimately your decision -- if you don't think you are either eligible or need it, you certainly don't have to play the card. But, based on common metrics, you appear to qualify. Personally, I would seek every advantage I could ethically claim.

Thanks! I'm worried that if I end up classified at "disadvantaged" I would be competing against people in the same category. Does the admissions process work like this, where there are a certain number of disadvantaged students accepted each year? So I guess, what is the "advantage" of stating you are disadvantaged (I have good grades, so i'm not trying to "excuse" anything on my application).
The advantage of being classified as disadvantaged is that disadvantaged people typically have lower stats, due to their reduced opportunities and generally disadvantaged circumstances, so, it's a lower bar to clear, if you qualify.

It's not a quota thing, or anything like that. It's just that there is an increased sensitivity to leveling the playing field, so applicants who meet the definition tend to get a little more leeway with respect to stats, ECs, etc., depending on their specific circumstances.

Reactions: 3 users
If you think that you arrived at college having had fewer opportunities prior to college than most of your peers due to economic circumstances and that this set you back (e.g. you didn't know how to drive, or had never learned to swim, etc) this might have had an effect on the trajectory of your college career until you caught up. Checking the disadvantaged box and writing an explanation helps the adcom put your application in perspective.

Nothing that dramatic, I had to stop competitive tennis in high school.( financial burden for my family.)
I had no idea about college application process( financial aid etc) but I figured it out and did all very last minute. Maybe I got little less support/financial help than my classmates.
Other than that I don't feel very disatvateged. Maybe I just put numbers. A list of need-based help I have received. I can't think of a "disadvantaged essay". It would sound fake.
You were on Medicaid, received free lunches, and are now attending college on the Pell Grant. You thrived despite these financial and social challenges. Your success does not take away from your disadvantaged status.

When writing your response, stick with the facts, reflect on how these experiences have impacted you, and let reviewers make their own determinations. For example, you learned by necessity to be resourceful, independent, and thoughtful with how you spent your money and time. What other lessons did you gain from your employment and lost opportunities? What are you thankful for despite your more-challenging circumstances? These answers can help build the foundation for your response. Just my thoughts.

Reactions: 4 users
Thanks! I'm worried that if I end up classified at "disadvantaged" I would be competing against people in the same category. Does the admissions process work like this, where there are a certain number of disadvantaged students accepted each year? So I guess, what is the "advantage" of stating you are disadvantaged (I have good grades, so i'm not trying to "excuse" anything on my application).
No, Admissions does not work like this!!
Checking the disadvantage box is a way of leveling the playing field for people who didn't have the resources to go to really really good colleges oh, we're who were not prepared for college because they had crummy secondary education.

You keep asking about this, and we have already told you that yes it's okay to check the disadvantaged box. The road traveled is also a form of Merit.