discrepancy between kaplan and aamc scores?

Started by wahoo2010
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

wahoo2010

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey y'all. I'm taking the real exam this Friday (eek!). I took Kaplan 1-6 and 9 as well as AAMC 1-9. I'll take AAMC 10 this Wednesday. Anyway, I noticed a discrepancy between my Kaplan and AAMC scores. In fact, my average score on Kaplan is 29-30 (10s on PS and 9s, occasionally 10s, on BS) and on AAMC is 33-34 (11-12s on science sections). Which one is more representative of real MCAT score?
 
Really depends. I had the opposite dilemma. I had 35-39 on Kaplans and 28-37 on AAMCs. AAMC shows how well you minimize small mistakes and use question information because they have harsher curves but much easier questions. Kaplan tests are much more difficult but with a much easier curve. The MCAT is a mix. It's tougher than AAMC but easier scale-wise. It's easier than Kaplan but harder scale-wise. Hope this helps!
 
I barely bothered with Kaplan's tests. I consistently got a 29-30 and was disheartened until I took the AAMC tests. On those I generally ranged from a 32 to 34, including one 37 and one 29. I ended up with a 36 on the real thing (almost voided it after actually). So basically neither were too accurate but AAMC was definitely closer. AAMC's question style also felt more like the real thing to me.