Nov 30, 2020
I decided to do a DIY post-bacc to finish two prerequisites and take high-level biology courses. The school basically said I'd be eligible to earn an associate degree if I sent in an official transcript from my undergrad. This would mean that I would also be eligible for financial aid. The problem I'm having with this is that my undergrad GPA was not the best. By getting credit for those classes, I'm afraid my post-bacc GPA will suffer before I even get a chance.

I definitely need help financially, so I would want to be a degree seeking student. Getting an associate degree also doesn't seem like a bad deal. Would medical schools/SMPs look at my overall GPA or would they only calculate the GPA from the new school? Should I be worried about transferring credits?

I'm not really sure how to go about this, so I feel stuck. I would really appreciate any help!

May 27, 2020
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
I would ask the registrar but usually transfer credit just shows up as a T or something and doesnt contribute to the GPA.

Reactions: 1 users

GreenDuck12

5+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2014
Status
  1. Medical Student
When you go to apply to medical school you will need to include all college level coursework. This means that programs will see your prior undergraduate coursework. However, classes are only counted once. In the event the CC assigns grades to your transfer courses you would simply indicate that in your app. In this way a C in a course would not be counted twice against you.

One thing to consider: you can simply indicate you are a degree seeking student at your CC in order to access financial aid. Then, when you are finished with your prereq classes you are able to stop without earning an associates degree. The additional degree does not add to your application. One only needs to be degree seeking at the time financial aid is disbursed.

Reactions: 1 users
About the Ads

samc

PGY-2
10+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2010
Boston, MA
beckse.googlepages.com
Status
  1. Resident [Any Field]
When you go to apply to medical school you will need to include all college level coursework. This means that programs will see your prior undergraduate coursework. However, classes are only counted once. In the event the CC assigns grades to your transfer courses you would simply indicate that in your app. In this way a C in a course would not be counted twice against you.

Yes. As I recall, when you're entering your classes into the system, you put down a code for undergrad and a different code for postbac.

Reactions: 1 user
Nov 30, 2020
I would ask the registrar but usually transfer credit just shows up as a T or something and doesnt contribute to the GPA.

One thing to consider: you can simply indicate you are a degree seeking student at your CC in order to access financial aid. Then, when you are finished with your prereq classes you are able to stop without earning an associates degree. The additional degree does not add to your application. One only needs to be degree seeking at the time financial aid is disbursed.

Yes. As I recall, when you're entering your classes into the system, you put down a code for undergrad and a different code for postbac.
Thanks everyone! I think I'll just act as a degree seeking student for now since the degree wouldn't really help me.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads