Do any other schools have programs like the PRIME program at UC schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zakimran23

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Currently waiting on post-II results, but until I get those, I am preparing for the worst which is a reapp. I applied to a few UC schools this year such as UCLA and it wasn't until I began filling out the secondary that I realized that they have a program called PRIME which focuses on working on training students not to just be physicians but leaders working towards addressing healthcare disparities in underserved communities in California and the US. Much of my volunteer work has focused on providing access to medical care to underserved communities, so after reading about the PRIME program I was quite inspired, however, UCLA for example has a strict 2 week turn around time for their secondary and as a result I didn't feel like I would have enough time to do further research on the program and write a quality essay. Now that I may have to reapply, I am looking at these types of programs as I feel like they align with my goals that I'd like to achieve as a physician and that my previous experience would be a good fit for a program. I know that there are many schools that emphasize community service, however, I am specifically looking for programs within the school like PRIME. Any information would be appreciated. Thank you for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

How much community service non-clinical work have you done?

There's a reason why I tell people to write your secondary essays first. You may discover some of these tracks with your research about your school list. It's widely known that the UC schools have the PRIME programs, so did you not network with the schools before you began your applications? You could have saved yourself from committing the unforced error of not writing your PRIME essay.

How much community service non-clinical work have you done?

There's a reason why I tell people to write your secondary essays first. You may discover some of these tracks with your research about your school list. It's widely known that the UC schools have the PRIME programs, so did you not network with the schools before you began your applications? You could have saved yourself from committing the unforced error of not writing your PRIME essay.
Hi Mr. Smile,

Thank you for your response. I did not, unfortunately. This year, if I have to reapply, I will make sure to restrategize and do things earlier. It is one of the reasons I posted this thread now in February instead of May. Do you know of any non-UC schools that have similar programs to PRIME?

I have 400 hours of non-clinical volunteering and 700 hours of clinical volunteering.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Mr. Smile,

Thank you for your response. I did not, unfortunately. This year, if I have to reapply, I will make sure to restrategize and do things earlier. It is one of the reasons I posted this thread now in February instead of May. Do you know of any non-UC schools that have similar programs to PRIME?
Give me more information. Which PRIME programs appealed to you? This goes to your mission fit: what populations, what settings, what issues regarding social justice and community health?

Are you applying to NHSC? Maybe HPSP? Have you looked at IHS?

Give me more information. Which PRIME programs appealed to you? This goes to your mission fit: what populations, what settings, what issues regarding social justice and community health?

Are you applying to NHSC? Maybe HPSP? Have you looked at IHS?
Just to give a little background information, the majority of my clinical volunteering comes from working at a free mobile that goes to different areas throughout my city that are underserved. We set up a clinic for the day and see patients for free, who often lack insurance, the financial ability to pay for medical care, or access to medical care in general (whether due to transportation, language barriers, etc).

Of the PRIME programs that appeal to me:

UCSF's as it really focuses on the underserved in urban communities, which strongly aligns with my volunteer work (however UCSF is UCSF and my stats aren't strong enough).

UCLA has both a PRIME program and a new Urban health Equity Pathway (which replaced the Charles Drew Program), which both would provide amazing opportunities, especially in a city as diverse as Los Angeles. PRIME slightly more so because it would provide me with leadership training to help address the issues leading to populations being underserved at a macro level.

There is also the PRIME-health equity program at UCSD, which works to identify populations for being at risk for health disparities. It is mostly urban focused and being able to get ahead of the curve and work with these types of communities really appeals to me.

UC Davis has a rural and a Tribal Health PRIME program. UCI has a PRIME Latino track. I don't really have much experience in those areas (other than working with Hispanic communities, however, they definitely haven't been the main focus of my community service work so I do not believe that I would be a good fit and personally I would like to focus more on urban communities as a whole).

I have not applied NHSC, HPSP, or IHS. From my understanding, those are scholarship/loan programs that can cover the cost of tuition. I was more interested in the actual programs at medical schools that have a focus on working with underserved communities. Just like most schools have MD/MPH or MD/PhD programs in addition to the MD programs, the UC schools have the PRIME program as a separate program you can apply to. I would, however, have interest in an NHSC scholarship and working in NHSC-approved site in an underserved community, if I were lucky enough to receive a scholarship.

If there is any additional information you need, please let me know! Thank you as always for your assistance.