Do I have a shot at a Pharmacy program?

Started by KevinK2
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

KevinK2

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just a little bit of quick background information. It took me a long time to figure out that I wanted to do this. I attended University of UConn and ended up graduating with a degree in Psychology. (I decided on the major for no reason other than I did not know what I wanted to do) I was not that interested in it, and I ended up leaving UConn with a 3.0 average and a diploma.

After working for a year I decided I wanted to get into a pharmacy program. The past year I have taken the majority of the prerequisites... Chem 1/2 Organic 1/2, pre-calculus, calculus 1, microbiology, and a few other less essential courses. I have done very well and my GPA in these courses is around a 3.4

There have been a lot of highs and lows, as I have proven to myself I can succeed in high level courses, but at the same time I have doubt in my mind that the work I did at UConn is going to cost me when I apply. I hope that they look at my recent body of work, and how motivated I am, rather than some of the poorer grades I received at UConn.

Let me know what you think, am I chasing something that is not going to happen.

Thanks...
Kevin
 
Just a little bit of quick background information. It took me a long time to figure out that I wanted to do this. I attended University of UConn and ended up graduating with a degree in Psychology. (I decided on the major for no reason other than I did not know what I wanted to do) I was not that interested in it, and I ended up leaving UConn with a 3.0 average and a diploma.

After working for a year I decided I wanted to get into a pharmacy program. The past year I have taken the majority of the prerequisites... Chem 1/2 Organic 1/2, pre-calculus, calculus 1, microbiology, and a few other less essential courses. I have done very well and my GPA in these courses is around a 3.4

There have been a lot of highs and lows, as I have proven to myself I can succeed in high level courses, but at the same time I have doubt in my mind that the work I did at UConn is going to cost me when I apply. I hope that they look at my recent body of work, and how motivated I am, rather than some of the poorer grades I received at UConn.

Let me know what you think, am I chasing something that is not going to happen.

Thanks...
Kevin

You have an upward trend which is good. You're GPA isn't that bad. Plus, you'll have a higher pre-req GPA. If you have some good EC activities, pharmacy experience, LORS, and you apply as early as possible to a broad number of schools, there should be no reason why you wouldn't get in.
 
You have an upward trend which is good. You're GPA isn't that bad. Plus, you'll have a higher pre-req GPA. If you have some good EC activities, pharmacy experience, LORS, and you apply as early as possible to a broad number of schools, there should be no reason why you wouldn't get in.

Thanks for the encouragement. I just get down thinking about the possibility of failing at times. I am planning on doing an internship with Pfizer before I apply to schools, so hopefully that will look good. Then I just need to maintain good grades in these final few courses (Bio and Physics) Thanks
 
I think you have a very a good chance at getting in. An upward trend in grades looks very good. That upward trend along with EC's and pharmacy experience show that you are serious about pharmacy school and the profession. When you apply and start getting interview requests you'll see what I mean.