Do residency directors know if you have are a reapplicant after not matching last year's cycle?

xnmed16

5+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Reapplicant with several red flags did not match last year's cycle.
Applied very broadly this cycle and sitting on 12 interviews thus far.

I have attended 2 interviews so far and have been asked this question. "Did you apply last year?"
Do program directors have information on my previous year's record of application and results?

AnatomyGrey12

5+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2015
Midwest
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
They know you most likely didn't match because you have a year between graduation and applying. What did you fill that time with?

NotAProgDirector

Pastafarians Unite!
10+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I can look at my application data from last year -- so if I want to know whether you applied to my program last year, I can answer that. But I can't tell if you applied and didn't match vs applied but withdrew from the match vs didn't apply at all.

Reactions: 1 users
About the Ads

Doc_Ock

First Aid is life
5+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2014
East Coast
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I can look at my application data from last year -- so if I want to know whether you applied to my program last year, I can answer that. But I can't tell if you applied and didn't match vs applied but withdrew from the match vs didn't apply at all.
I think what OP is getting at is if you just generally applied broadly in the last cycle-not necessarily at your school- would you have any way of knowing applicants applied the last cycle in general? Even if they didn't apply to your school specifically?

NotAProgDirector

Pastafarians Unite!
10+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
No, we can't tell (other than the gap in your training)

Reactions: 1 user

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads