Does Probability count as College Mathematics?

Started by indebted
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

indebted

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know that there are a few similar forums to this, but none directly answer my question. I was an art major in undergrad and now am completing my post-bacc. I would like to apply to Robert Wood Johnson for linkage, but they require 1 semester of "college mathematics." The only math I have taken in college is Probability (not Statistics). I emailed them today to see if probability counted, and this is the response I got:

Hello,

Any branch of college level math, i.e., algebra, trig, calculus, statistics will suffice the requirement.

Thank you

Soooo, that does mean that probability counts? I asked my advisor, who said she wasn't sure, and my friends seem to think RWJMS's response means probability does count. I was planning to take calculus over the summer, but I go to a pretentious ivy league and the summer calc course is another $4,000 that I don't want to take out private loans for. I was considering the community college's summer classes to get calc out of the way, but I cannot use student loans and don't really have much money.

What do you guys think, can I skip calculus, or should I just bite the bullet and take it over the summer? Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.
 
99.9% sure probability counts. Probability is a branch of math, math professors write papers about it, and teach classes about it. If you took the class at a college it was "college level math."