-

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WhatAreMyChancesFriends

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Although you may get that scholarship that you are hypothesizing about, I would wait until your have acceptances and offers in hand .

Understandable! However it's not hypothesizing, I automatically only need to pay 50% tuition if I got and went to Downstate. Just need to get in now ;P

This is the uncertain part. You may get a clean sweep of all the NY schools or you may fail to gain admission all. Your stats say you have a 90% + chance of admission, that also means you have a 10% chance of not getting in anywhere. Update us once you have the packages in hand and more pointed advice can be provided.

I mean it depends on your career aspirations. Better school will definitely make it easier to match a competitive specialty in a prestigious residency.

If you want to do a competitive specialty and practice academic medicine, the better NY schools will serve you much better.

If yo want to just be a good clinician and still be able to match competitive specialties, u can go to downstate and save money.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a little older than most applicants, and as such have a lot of experience in the field. Mainly spent the last 6 years working with Heme Oncs at one of the big NYC hospitals. That's essentially where I'd like to find myself. I know IM isn't a competitive specialty, but I would like to match to a program that has a high rate of fellowship matching so one of the big 4 in NYC would be my goal (NYP-Columbia, NYP-Cornell, NYU, Mt. Sinai).
you should go to the best school you get into for the most part. if the difference is in excess of 100k for COA then you should really determine what that money means to you. Would you be ok not going to the best school and then matching into a place where you dont get the opportunity to move on to fellowship? Is the difference in cost worth that gamble?

Reactions: 1 user
Worrying about money while attending medical school seems like a goose chase. Whats the difference between owing $375k and $475k, both are more money than some people will ever see in their lifetime - but it's an investment. In the end, it isn't worth gambling with a cheaper school and risking a more prestigious match.

In my opinion the less debt the better. I'm not in medical school yet but 100k difference is still a lot of money especially if you already are in an immense amount of debt from previous schooling. Then you start adding on interest and that increases the debt even more. Also let's not forget that a great Step I & II score can increase your likelihood of getting into a stellar residency program which will lead to great fellowships right? I'm sure a lot of medical students or physicians would love to have their debt 100k less. I suggest listening to this podcast I just came across a podcast where Dr. Dale speaks on finances. You can start 5 minutes in. It's called Premed Mondays (episode: week 2).