DPT health

Started by iceblue
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

iceblue

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone,
Just what exactly does a DPT do? I know they rehabilitate people, but I mean, what sorts of methods do they use to do this? Do they use a lot of their own strength? if so, I imagine it's a physically demanding job and can cause a lot of wear and tear on the body over years.

Does that mean a DPT must be physically fit and strong?
 
It depends on what field of Physical Therapy you get into. Pediatrics - probably not very physically demanding. In the Acute Care setting, however, depending on the facility you are in, you will be getting all sorts of people up and out of bed and moving.

In the end, while we stress patient ergonomics and education, PTs are taught proper biomechanics while on the job too. Proper PT positioning for everything will definitely minimize any physical stress...

With that being said, I heard a relatively inspiring story of a recent DPT grad who was working in home health, and on her way to a patient got into a terrible car accident and was left a quadrapelegic. She is currently a practicing physical therapist with a personal aid who assists her in the elements of physical therapy that her disability no longer allows her to do.

SO, no, a PT does not need to be fit nor strong, but it does make things a little easier.
 
Not necessarily physically strong or fit (but definitely can help). We are taught how to use our bodies the correct way during transfers, stretching, etc.

It was truly amazing, for example, seeing my clinical instructors who were 5 foot nothing and a hundred nothing pound females stretching 7 foot NBA players' legs without breaking a sweat!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Peds can be plenty demanding. I work side by side w/ many a PT, and it's always an interesting day that provides for a sound slumber... 🙂

Acute is acute, but you have to be a salesman to keep a child cooperative and complaint.
The therapist working with autistic children will deal with hitting, biting, pisisng, pulling, dropping to the floor, and attempts to jump out the window. When they are compliant you need to be on your game, having a plan, a backup plan, and ready for the child who could be tired, under/over-medicated, sick, or hungy. Walk away from a child to grab something just past arms reach, and find the child on the other side of the room throwing equipment at another child.
Ped therapists need to be alert at all times, ready to hold a child in wraps and take-downs that keep the child safe from themselves and you without leaving mark ONE on them.
I still prefer peds to nursing homes, for now. I've worked nursing homes for 5 years...Gradma can tell you where to go, but they cant get very far in the wheelchair before they wheeze or forget where they wanted to go. :laugh:
 
while certainly not necessary I do believe it's important for a PT to be healthy.

Think of if this way. You are a representative of the allied health profession no? So wouldn't it make sense that you been in good shape to treat patients who are not? I've known some PT's who couldn't even do some of the rehab exercises they were having their patients do.

examples: balance work, flexibility exercises......

edit: and when i mean who are not healthy I don't mean exercise wise.