-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
duquesne post-bac
Started by SAEbrodel
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You don't have to listen to me if you don't want to. Chill.
Have you gotten into other SMPs? What I'm saying is that you should get your acceptances first and compare them to decide on where to go. Since you mentioned the interview I'm assuming you've already applied. Just follow through with it and ask them during the interview about their program. It's a program designed to enhance your application so they're obviously not going to mind if you ask how effective they are and stuff. My point is getting all the info on a program is pretty futile if you don't secure an acceptance first.
For example: Learning that the EVMS smp is essentially a feeder into their school only to not get in would be annoying.
Go interview. Ask them about the program. Get accepted. Kill two birds with one stone.
Have you gotten into other SMPs? What I'm saying is that you should get your acceptances first and compare them to decide on where to go. Since you mentioned the interview I'm assuming you've already applied. Just follow through with it and ask them during the interview about their program. It's a program designed to enhance your application so they're obviously not going to mind if you ask how effective they are and stuff. My point is getting all the info on a program is pretty futile if you don't secure an acceptance first.
For example: Learning that the EVMS smp is essentially a feeder into their school only to not get in would be annoying.
Go interview. Ask them about the program. Get accepted. Kill two birds with one stone.
yeah, sorry i came off as a bit harsh. the thing is sure i know i can ask them, but it won't be as valuable as a student my age who can tell me more about it. for example, the people who interview me wont be able to tell me how the social scene is, or how nice housing is, and what things there are to do in the area. that's the information i want to know, all the issues regarding "academics" of the program I know they can answer when I interview them.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
yeah, sorry i came off as a bit harsh. the thing is sure i know i can ask them, but it won't be as valuable as a student my age who can tell me more about it. for example, the people who interview me wont be able to tell me how the social scene is, or how nice housing is, and what things there are to do in the area. that's the information i want to know, all the issues regarding "academics" of the program I know they can answer when I interview them.
I'm from Pittsburgh and interviewed a Duquesne last year. I ended up doing a post-bacc elsewhere, but not necessarily because I did not like Duquesne.
Since I did not enroll in the program, I can't really tell you about the social scene within the program. I can tell you that the school is located close to Oakland, downtown Pittsburgh, and the South Side. Oakland is a largely collegiate neighborhood - this is where the University of Pittsburgh, Carnegie Mellon, and UPitt medical school are located. Lots of bars and decent food (Check out Pirmanti Bros if you visit). By the standards of any city, Pgh is cheap, and this area is probably the cheapest. Downtown Pittsburgh is condensed, with nicer restaurants, shopping, and museums. The South Side is an area in Pittsburgh that has been largely revitalized, and has the best club scene in Pittsburgh (some good clubs down by Station Square) along with some pretty affordable housing. All three areas are very inexpensive to hang out in by city standards.
The biggest advantage to going to to school in Pittsburgh is cost of living. The city is tremendously livable, and while tuition may be similar in Pittsburgh, housing and food will cost you exponentially less than most major east coast cities. You will also find that people tend to be pretty friendly and unhurried relative to Boston/New York/DC.
The biggest downside is that Pittsburgh is a small city with an older population than many of it's east coast counterparts. There is definitely a younger crowd and good company to be had, but you must seek it out a bit more than in other places. It's not like Boston or New York, where everyone seems to be under 26.
Hope this helps a little bit. PM me with questions.
Should also add the Duquesne is very well thought of locally. Friends who attended for undergrad said that the support services were excellent. I got the same impression from my interview. And the program is not intended exclusively for URM (you don't get much whiter than I am).
Similar threads
- Replies
- 8
- Views
- 1K