• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Early Admissions Question!

kdhdpt

Feb 12, 2016
  1. Pre-Physical Therapy
    Hi everyone! I'm a first time poster. I plan on applying to Georgia States DPT program this upcoming week for early admissions and I was just wondering if someone could give me some insight on the process

Stats:
    Major: exercise science
    Overall GPA: 3.87
    Pre-req: should be around 3.73
    GRE: 152 V 142 Q haven't gotten AW score yet
    Hours: will have over 300 in outpatient ortho setting and 46 in acute care (I am currently interning at a physical therapy clinic as well that is outpatient that will be worth 12 credit hours towards my degree)
    Extras: student officer for exercise science club, relay for life, a few on campus activities, AMBUCS, and Just a few more community involvement things

I know my GRE quantitative score is super low and I am making plans to study and retake it in August. Georgia states minimum GRE score is 150 V and 140 Q so I'm above it and I'm hoping my GPA makes up for it but I'm still prepping to retake just in case. My concern is if I apply for early admissions and don't get in with these test scores, will I be able to reapply during their "priority" cycle once I take the test again? Does anyone know if they are more lenient if you include that you are planning to take the GRE again in your application?

redrose424

Jun 29, 2015
    1. Physical Therapy Student
      Hi everyone! I'm a first time poster. I plan on applying to Georgia States DPT program this upcoming week for early admissions and I was just wondering if someone could give me some insight on the process

Stats:
      Major: exercise science
      Overall GPA: 3.87
      Pre-req: should be around 3.73
      GRE: 152 V 142 Q haven't gotten AW score yet
      Hours: will have over 300 in outpatient ortho setting and 46 in acute care (I am currently interning at a physical therapy clinic as well that is outpatient that will be worth 12 credit hours towards my degree)
      Extras: student officer for exercise science club, relay for life, a few on campus activities, AMBUCS, and Just a few more community involvement things

I know my GRE quantitative score is super low and I am making plans to study and retake it in August. Georgia states minimum GRE score is 150 V and 140 Q so I'm above it and I'm hoping my GPA makes up for it but I'm still prepping to retake just in case. My concern is if I apply for early admissions and don't get in with these test scores, will I be able to reapply during their "priority" cycle once I take the test again? Does anyone know if they are more lenient if you include that you are planning to take the GRE again in your application?

I believe if you aren't accepted ED then you can be deferred to the normal cycle. However, it's more likely that a school accepts you when applying ED than normal decision. To your last question, I would doubt it. There's no way for them to know what you WILL score, so it means essentially nothing.

kdhdpt

Feb 12, 2016
      1. Pre-Physical Therapy
        I believe if you aren't accepted ED then you can be deferred to the normal cycle. However, it's more likely that a school accepts you when applying ED than normal decision. To your last question, I would doubt it. There's no way for them to know what you WILL score, so it means essentially nothing.
        Thank you for that! Do you think I have a good shot with those GRE scores? Assuming my essay is at least a 4.0 hopefully

About the Ads

AceStrata

2+ Year Member
        Sep 28, 2015
        1. Pre-Physical Therapy
          You aren't in a bad spot by any means, and your GPA is above average. I got the same scores last year without studying, and Midwestern in AZ would have offered me and interview as it met the mins. Given that you are applying ED you'd definitely be in a good position to secure a seat, as a fair amount of applicant apply after ED. Good luck!

kdhdpt

Feb 12, 2016
          1. Pre-Physical Therapy
            You aren't in a bad spot by any means, and your GPA is above average. I got the same scores last year without studying, and Midwestern in AZ would have offered me and interview as it met the mins. Given that you are applying ED you'd definitely be in a good position to secure a seat, as a fair amount of applicant apply after ED. Good luck!
            Thanks! That's a relief to hear, I dreaded taking that exam!

redrose424

Jun 29, 2015
              Thank you for that! Do you think I have a good shot with those GRE scores? Assuming my essay is at least a 4.0 hopefully

Yes, if you write good essays and interview well. Personality and professionalism is extremely important to GSU's program from what I've found, so make sure you exhibit that in your interview. Good news for you is also that I believe this is the first year that GSU has done early admission, that means they will probably have fewer ED applicants than they will in the next few years.

kdhdpt

Feb 12, 2016
              1. Pre-Physical Therapy
                Same, it was my first time taking it in any form. This next time I will definitely score higher, since I have been prepping an hour or two daily most days.
                It was my first time taking it today as well! I had no idea how burnt out I would feel after the essays and the first section, but hopefully those scores get me by.

kdhdpt

Feb 12, 2016
                1. Pre-Physical Therapy
                  Yes, if you write good essays and interview well. Personality and professionalism is extremely important to GSU's program from what I've found, so make sure you exhibit that in your interview. Good news for you is also that I believe this is the first year that GSU has done early admission, that means they will probably have fewer ED applicants than they will in the next few years.
                  That's a relief! GSU is my top choice because of their emphasis on diversity and the amount of volunteer work the program does, so I tried to include the importance of those factors in the PTCAS essay for this cycle, but I'm definitely going to tweak it to make it even more personal. Although there's only so much I feel like I can say with the essay prompt this year.

deezytide

2+ Year Member
                  May 22, 2016
                  1. Non-Student
                    I am also applying to ED for Georgia State. Instead of posting a new thread, I figured I would ask my question in here.

I am fairly confident in most portions of my application(GRE 150/162/4.5, GPA 3.7 undergrad, master's in exercise science GPA 3.85, work experience as a strength and conditioning coach, personal trainer, and exercise physiologist.. unfortunately no extracurricular activities since I worked full time during undergrad as well), HOWEVER I am severely lacking in observation hours. ATM I have 17(I work full time 9-5 sometimes longer hours, so it's hard for me to knock out chunks at a time).

I need 40 before I submit my application. The absolute deadline for ED at GSU is August 15th.. I can get to 40 hours by this point. However, they suggest you submit everything 4-5 weeks in advance. GSU suggest sending everything in by July 5th.. I can not get to 40 by this point. I think, realistically, that I can have 40 hours done by the end of July WITHOUT having to take off time from work(thus losing money). Do you think if I submitted everything except my observation hours next week, that when I do submit my observation hours at the end of the month that the process could be expedited?

Could anybody chime in on this process?

redrose424

Jun 29, 2015
                      I am also applying to ED for Georgia State. Instead of posting a new thread, I figured I would ask my question in here.

I am fairly confident in most portions of my application(GRE 150/162/4.5, GPA 3.7 undergrad, master's in exercise science GPA 3.85, work experience as a strength and conditioning coach, personal trainer, and exercise physiologist.. unfortunately no extracurricular activities since I worked full time during undergrad as well), HOWEVER I am severely lacking in observation hours. ATM I have 17(I work full time 9-5 sometimes longer hours, so it's hard for me to knock out chunks at a time).

I need 40 before I submit my application. The absolute deadline for ED at GSU is August 15th.. I can get to 40 hours by this point. However, they suggest you submit everything 4-5 weeks in advance. GSU suggest sending everything in by July 5th.. I can not get to 40 by this point. I think, realistically, that I can have 40 hours done by the end of July WITHOUT having to take off time from work(thus losing money). Do you think if I submitted everything except my observation hours next week, that when I do submit my observation hours at the end of the month that the process could be expedited?

Could anybody chime in on this process?

You can complete the section that says "expected observation hours" if you know you'll be in a particular facility then update and verify it later.

About the Ads
                      This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                      7. This thread is locked.