Elective Questions

Started by juddson
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

juddson

3K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,

At this point I am interested in two fields, psych and path. My town has two major teaching hospitals (and medical schools) and I have done both path and psych work (either via elective or core clerkship) at my "home" institution, but not the "away" institution. Whichever field I finally decide upon (ie., psych or path), I will be applying to both my "home" program and the "away" program (in one field only, of course).

My question is this: Can my "away" path elective (which will be general surgical path) be only 2 weeks, or ought my "away" elective be 4 weeks long? I gather that all else being equal, four weeks is always better than two. But what is standard? What is acceptable?

Thanks
Judd
 
I think overall it depends on what a place will allow (ie 2, 3, or 4 week electives). You should check with individual programs. Two weeks is more than enough time to figure out if a place is a good fit for you and to leave an impression. A few of my friends who applied (and subsequently matched) to neurosurgery scheduled 2 week electives in order to squeeze in more places and it gave them enough time to get noticed by the department and get a feel for how things ran, the personalities, etc.