electronegativity question

Started by pharmd09
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pharmd09

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I;m studying the first few chapters of general chemiistry from my kaplan book and I came across some information I needed clarificatication on.

Based on the reading I found that:

nonpolar covalent bonds: 0 to 0.4
polar covalent is: 0.4 to 1.7
ionic bonds: 1.7 and greater

I was also going through my old gen chem notes and my teacher said

nonpolar covalent: 0 to 0.5
polar covalent: 0.5 to 1.9
ionic: 1.9 and greater

I know its not a MAJOr difference in ranges. but sometimes it can be pretty vague if we had to differentiate betweem a nonpolar and polar covalent bond. ionic is pretty easy cause it is just a matter of balancing charges.

Does anyone have a more exact idea of what the electronegativity ranges are?

Thanks
 
The closer the elements from (group 4-7), the more covalent they are. On PCAT test, you will not be asked such trivial questions as to the range of covalent bonds.