EM Shelf Importance?

Started by Jaws9
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Jaws9

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Good afternoon, I wanted to get some brief opinions on whether or not I should take the EM shelf. I have done 4 EM auditions and received 8 interviews thus far. My school does not require the EM shelf be taken and I let the time slip away. No program has asked about it nor have I heard anyone really talk about the importance of taking it for match purposes. My gut feeling is I should go ahead and get it scheduled soon but if it holds no weight at this point in the process I may not take it. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
 
The only thing that matters is passing your EM rotations.

Plenty of med students never take the shelf and have no problem matching into EM every year.