Emory Pros and Cons

Started by hasanman
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

hasanman

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all. This is my first post so bear with me. I have tried to read up on Emory and see what people have thought about the program but have come up with nothing.

I was just wondering if anyone knew of the program's strengths...size...resident happiness...work load...or any other info

I may possibly be interviewing there so I just wanted a heads up. Thanks
 
Emory Pros:

-Several different hospitals, get a lot of experience with different hospitals types and settings. Grady Hospital is Atlanta's major trauma center, so they get a lot of trauma exposure with messed up airways. Emory hospital is your tertiary care center, a lot transplants, etc.
Residents also rotate through the VA, Emory Crawford Long Hospital, Egleston (pediatrics), among a handful of others.
-Strong faculty. Pretty well known program with some big name faculty.
-Very diverse case load, given the many hospitals.
-Moderate size program, I think they said 16 residents total per year.
-Lots of AAs in Atlanta, don't have to worry about CRNAs.
-Program strengths: Trauma, Cardiothoracic (probably one of the strongest in the country), Pediatrics, Obstetrics

From what I can tell, Emory is a top notch program with a lot of benefits.

Some Cons:

-Residents work pretty hard. Have a lot of call in general. Some of the CA-1s complained about this. Their calls seem to be very busy, especially at Grady.
-Regional and Pain experience is not great. Improving, but still not great.

Hope this is helpful.
 
Some Cons:

-Residents work pretty hard. Have a lot of call in general. Some of the CA-1s complained about this. Their calls seem to be very busy, especially at Grady.
-Regional and Pain experience is not great. Improving, but still not great.

Hope this is helpful.
I just finished at Emory.

Avg resident works 55- 65 hours per week. Some rotations a bit more(Cardiac and ICU). You should not come close to 80. You do work when you are at work though. The CA1 year is divided 6 mo at Emory and 6 at grady. Call at Emory is 2/mo. Call at Grady is 6/mo. Grady call is more demanding in frequency and workload. But, at Grady you get out of your room at 3:00 everyday and are generally in your car heading home by 330-400.

Regional has improved since I was a CA1 but I would be the first to say it needs further improvement. If you come here, (baring any changes)you will finish with approx 80-100 blocks and catheters not counting minor anatomic blocks. (acgme requires 40) You should have no problems being proficient at all the bread and butter regional plus a little extra.

Also dont confuse neuraxial anesthesia with regional. You will do tons of epidurals and spinals here.

If I can answer any other specific questions I would be happy to via PM or open forum.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for the post usnavdoc. I am heading to Emory next year as a CA-1 and can't wait. I'm looking at areas to either buy or rent...any suggestions? Where do most residents live? Where are areas that are reasonable as far as driving time/distance? Any idea what to expect for the first year of residency as far as training early in the year? Any info would be appreciated!
 
From what I heard Emory had a much disliked Chairperson a few years back. Many long time faculty apparently left. Has the program and work environment gotten better since that time?