Step I Endocrine PTH question

Started by Starry
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Starry

Wish on a different star
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hyperparathyroidism increases bone resorption. But my question is: Does hypoparathyroidism cause an increase or decrease in bone resorption?

I know that hypoparathyroidism Pt's often get adynamic bone disease (ABD) and their osteoid layer is thinner, and their bone turnover is lower. I think this means that both osteoblasts & osteoclasts are decreased?? And thus there is a decrease in bone resorption?

However, other students are telling me that the low Ca++ due to hypoparathyroidism will cause the bone to passively release Ca++, which means that bone resorption is increased.

Thanks for your help.