English pre-requisites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Parietal Lobe

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi. I'm a nontraditional and I'll be taking all my science pre-requisites at a four year college, but when I was in college the first time, I took all my English, Math, etc. at a community college and got my A.A. degree then transferred to a four year college to get my Bachelor's Degree.

My question is this. Even though I'll be taking all my science and math med school pre-requisites classes at a four year college, will I have to take English over again too since the first time I took it (as a freshman) was at a community college? I have my Bachelor's already so will they just let that go as long as my chem, bio, physics, and math is done at four-year?
 
Parietal Lobe said:
Even though I'll be taking all my science and math med school pre-requisites classes at a four year college, will I have to take English over again too since the first time I took it (as a freshman) was at a community college? I have my Bachelor's already so will they just let that go as long as my chem, bio, physics, and math is done at four-year?
Absolutely not. It's probably the one class medical schools care least about (in fact, around 30-40% of U.S. allopathic schools don't even ask for English), and you have the credits already. Save your money for application time. Good luck!
Edit: If this here source (http://www.vanderbilt.edu/hpao/Greenbk Pg 4 02new.htm)
is correct, then around 70% of U.S. allopathic schools ask for English (i.e. around 30% do not, like I said)
 
Scottish Chap said:
Absolutely not. It's probably the one class medical schools care least about (in fact, around 30-40% of U.S. allopathic schools don't even ask for English), and you have the credits already. Save your money for application time. Good luck!

I think a higher percentage of schools do ask for a year of english than Scottish Chap suggests. But I think they are fine with you having taken it decades ago or at a cc -- it is just the sciences that they want to see recent success.