Step I Epiphyseal Plates Closing - what do they look like?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

rocketbooster

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This was a question on NBME 3. What do closed epiphyseal plates look like? I narrowed it down to absence of epiphyseal plates and calcified epiphyseal plates. I could kind of make an argument for either answer since I have not formally seen/read the exact mechanism on how they close. Calcified = become hard so can no longer do endochrondral ossification. Absence = the plates obliterate so see no sign of them anymore? Absence may have been hinting to some congenital anomaly, though, in which the kid doesn't grow. So Idk, anyone know?
 
This was a question on NBME 3. What do closed epiphyseal plates look like? I narrowed it down to absence of epiphyseal plates and calcified epiphyseal plates. I could kind of make an argument for either answer since I have not formally seen/read the exact mechanism on how they close. Calcified = become hard so can no longer do endochrondral ossification. Absence = the plates obliterate so see no sign of them anymore? Absence may have been hinting to some congenital anomaly, though, in which the kid doesn't grow. So Idk, anyone know?

Hmm. I would say absence. It's not like the cartilage becomes mineralized. It get's replaced by mineralized, vascularized osteoid.
 
Hmm. I would say absence. It's not like the cartilage becomes mineralized. It get's replaced by mineralized, vascularized osteoid.

Yeah, I went with absence. But at the sametime, mineralized osteoid = calcified technically haha. So that's why I wasn't sure. And unfortunately you can't get feedback on NBME 3.

Anyone else?