Estimating a PCAT score

Started by eagleface
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

eagleface

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm currently preparing for the PCAT and I was wondering how to know what a good percentage of problems correct is?

I'm averaging about 80-85% correct on the tests. What would that translate to percentile wise?

I understand that it would vary from test to test, but does anyone have a ballpark figure?


I'm sorry, I should have posted this in PCAT discussion. Could someone please move it?
 
Last edited:
I'm currently preparing for the PCAT and I was wondering how to know what a good percentage of problems correct is?

I'm averaging about 80-85% correct on the tests. What would that translate to percentile wise?

I understand that it would vary from test to test, but does anyone have a ballpark figure?


I'm sorry, I should have posted this in PCAT discussion. Could someone please move it?


somewhere between a 15 and a 99.

I am 85% certain of this.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you take the Pearson's practice exam, they will give you a range of 20 points. You can use that to roughly estimate your score if you take it under timed conditions.
 
If you take the Pearson's practice exam, they will give you a range of 20 points. You can use that to roughly estimate your score if you take it under timed conditions.

I wonder if anyone on here has taken the Pearson and then the PCAT and scored within 20 pts. Did you?

Still, +/- 20 is massive. That's 50 to 70. From a horrible score to a competitive score. 70 to 90... Big jumps there. LOL...

So it'll rule out being a complete failure (20-30 composite) but in the upper range its usefulness is very limited.
 
Okay, but could someone tell me what they scored on the PCAT percentile wise and compare it to what they averaged percent-accuracy wise?

I just want to know if I'm doing good or bad.
 
Okay, but could someone tell me what they scored on the PCAT percentile wise and compare it to what they averaged percent-accuracy wise?

I just want to know if I'm doing good or bad.
You are assuming that what someone averages during practice tests remains the same when they take the actual PCAT. Not true.

I don't think anyone will know how to estimate PCAT scores from practice tests. The most reliable way to predict your PCAT score is if you take the practice PCAT offered by Pearson, and that's iffy at best. What you should do is try to get as many questions correct as you can. Worry about just doing well on your practice tests, and the high PCAT scores will follow.
 
I wonder if anyone on here has taken the Pearson and then the PCAT and scored within 20 pts. Did you?

Still, +/- 20 is massive. That's 50 to 70. From a horrible score to a competitive score. 70 to 90... Big jumps there. LOL...

So it'll rule out being a complete failure (20-30 composite) but in the upper range its usefulness is very limited.

I was within range on everything but two maths and one chem which were on the low side. But I scored at the top of the PCAT range so I have no idea how well it predicts scores that aren't at the extremes.

I think it can be somewhat useful if it is moderately accurate. If you want at least an 80 and your scores are coming in the 50 to 70 range, I'd consider postponing or making some serious changes to how you are studying. If everything is coming up in the 80 to 99 range then you are probably going to make your goal.
 
Okay, but could someone tell me what they scored on the PCAT percentile wise and compare it to what they averaged percent-accuracy wise?

I just want to know if I'm doing good or bad.

What are you using as an exam? If it is ones by the test makers, they vary in their difficulty compared to the actual PCATs.
 
Um...here is basically want I got, I used the Barron Study guide.

Chem: Practice= 60% Actual=89%
Biology: Practice = 65% Actual=91%
Math: Practice= 95% Actual= 93%
Verbal: Practice = 80% Actual = 71%
Reading: Practice = 95% Actual = 57%

Comp was 87%.
I am not sure how much that would help.