Superrambo

10+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2009
Midwest
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi, I have my MCAT on the 23rd and I am regretting that I have not been using my last days effectively. I have taken 3 kaplan tests and 2 EK tests in the past 2 weeks. I don't seem to be improving much after each test, even after reviewing every question closely. I feel my endurance and pacing is fine, have not run out of time yet on any exam. I know it is quite late to be asking this question, but:

Would I be using my last days better just doing content review of weak areas? AAMC QPack? In particular C/P is giving me a hard time (Any advice on what to focus on here?? :hello:).

Or should I keep doing practice exams until test day? I still have the AAMC FL to complete, will do it a couple days before exam. I'm very frustrated that I can't consistently score over 500 on kaplan nor 70%+ on EK. Really need a 510+ on test day to make up for my subpar GPA : /

Kaplan 1- 499 C/P (122) (CARS) (125) Bio (125) P/S (127)
Kaplan 2- 495 C/P (122) (CARS) (125) Bio (124) P/S (124)
Kaplan 3- 501 C/P (123) (CARS) (126) Bio (125) P/S (127)

EK 1- 68%
Chemical 67%
CARS 69%
Biological 69%
Psychological 76%

EK 2- 66%
Chemical 61%
CARS 57%
Biological 64%
Psychological 83%

Sep 3, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Take the AAMC test ASAP. Test company practice test are not really reflective of your actual score.

Doctor Dream

Eating the 5 pancakes
5+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2014
Dreamland
Status
Medical Student
Really not much you can do at this point other than take the AAMC FL, review that, maybe do the OG, and relax. With a few days before your exam, I don't think it's a good idea to do more than one FL before test day, otherwise you run the risk of burnout. Especially since it looks like you've been doing about an exam every 3 days the past couple weeks.

Focus on getting a feel for the AAMC questions now, and what they like to ask, how they format questions and passages, etc.

Ad2b

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
What is your goal score?

OP
Superrambo

Superrambo

10+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2009
Midwest
Status
Pre-Medical
What is your goal score?
514+
I know I can reach this if I improve my C/P, but not sure how to go about it. With only a few days left I will just take the AAMC FL today and go from there

Ad2b

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Agree with others: test prep companies do not equate well with AAMC FL. Good luck!! At this point, the only thing you can really do is review where you're weak on CP and then relax. With T-3 to go, Tues night you really just want to get a good night's sleep.

NextStepTutor_3

MCAT Tutor
Vendor
2+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Definitely take the AAMC sample full-length as soon as you can! A lot of people feel like they should "save" it for the last minute since it's the only current AAMC exam, but I agree with the above posters - it's best to get as accurate an idea as possible of the exam as soon as you can. Beyond that, I would actually slow down on the full-lengths. Five tests in the past two weeks is pretty demanding, and you don't want to risk becoming exhausted (which will hurt your general performance, and especially verbal). Plus, taking practice tests isn't valuable unless you give yourself plenty of time to review both your wrong and right answers, and look for general trends or "wrong answer" patterns. Good luck!

Reactions: jb94mg and Ad2b

GrapesofRath

2+ Year Member
May 5, 2015
Status
Non-Student
I'd be somewhat hesitant to recommend taking the MCAT next week if those are your EK scores and you are aiming for a 514+. But yes take the AAMC FL: if you do well on that then it can be worth taking it the next couple days. But otherwise, the fact for both EK's you've gotten below 70% on all but the psych section does not lend itself to a particularly high probability of hitting 514+ on the real thing.