Explaining bad grades on personal statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PTChargers

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Should I explain my bad grades on the PTCAS personal statement? I got a lot of my low grades (C's and C-'s) during my first two years of undergraduate. Also, they were mainly in chemistry and engineering classes. I got a lot of A's in my bio classes so I was going to mention something like "... I found biology more interesting and focused more..." Is it worth explaining or should I just wait until the interview (if I get one) to explain my bad grades?
 
Your personal statement is supposed to be about how you decided you wanted to be a PT-- if you got low grades in the courses because you had a different major and then decided to switch, then yeah, you could maybe explain it.

I would focus more on talking about how awesome you are (no, seriously) and not draw more attention to something that could be taken "negatively". 😉
 
There's an "additional information" section on the PTCAS that ask if your academic records reflect your actual abilities.

The general essay for PTCAS asks: Which personal characteristics and motivating factors have led you to pursue the profession of physical therapy?

I wouldn't add/explain low gpas/scores here but it's your essay so you can do whatever you want.

If I wasn't using PTCAS, I would have had about two sentences about it, but that's it.