extra curricular reading

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

tingtangjahe

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi there everyone-
Does anyone have any extra curricular reading that a pre-vet student might get their hands on...
I've been enjoying reads by Jane Goodall for a while, but aside from just narrative works I am wondering about supplemental texts or references that have helped any of you in the past.

Love to hear your thoughts.
Thanks!
 
A lot of people have enjoyed Tempel Grandin's books. (Not sure if I butchered her name.) I personally haven't read them, but classmates have and enjoyed them. Also, I had someone recommend Kicked, Bitten and Scratched, which was written by an animal trainer. I haven't had a chance to read it, but it was highly recommended. (I tend to read fiction or stuff other than vet stuff, since I get so much vet reading in school.) Also, if you aren't familiar with the handling of large animals, I recommend the text Handbook of Livestock Management by Battaglia.

Hope this helps!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't have time to dive into books, but I read Sci Am and Discover every month. That and a book on trying to figure out all the bells and whistles on my new D-SLR camera.
 
I found any of John Katz's books to be worthwhile. Ahhh the days when I had time and energy for free reading...
 
I'm a huge fan of James Herriot - short cute stories, but I love them anyway.

For a mathy read go for Fermat's Enigma - awesome, though I felt a bit cheated at the end.

And I just bought Stiff - the book people were talking about on the vet board - but I have yet to read it.

Oh, and speaking of Jane Goodall, go read The Far Side comics. Gary Larson=genius.