-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Financial Aid question
Started by fivescrew
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
All of the schools I applied to classified me as a graduate student, so I'm eligible to borrow 20.5k/yr.
Thinking over it, most AuD. programs allow students to have outside jobs or appointments, so that may b the deciding factor.
Thinking over it, most AuD. programs allow students to have outside jobs or appointments, so that may b the deciding factor.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I see. That's got to be rough for some people, some of those programs are 40k a year aren't they?
Yep. You make it work.
I see. That's got to be rough for some people, some of those programs are 40k a year aren't they?
Federal funding isn't the only option. Aside from assistantships/scholarships, etc., you can also take out Grad Plus loans. They're private loans and they're unsubsidized, but thanks to Obama, all loans are unsubsidized starting in July.
Federal funding isn't the only option. Aside from assistantships/scholarships, etc., you can also take out Grad Plus loans. They're private loans and they're unsubsidized, but thanks to Obama, all loans are unsubsidized starting in July.
Not to get political, but what do you mean all loans will be unsubsidized?
Oh, I wasn't taking a political stand, just saying it's part of the federal loans reform Obama passed. You'll be able to borrow the same amount in federal stafford loans but they will no longer defer interest, meaning that the interest will accrue while you are in school.
Sent from my DROIDX using SDN Mobile
Sent from my DROIDX using SDN Mobile
I see, thanks for all the info. Audiology sounds like an attractive profession especially for people interested in a future in research\teaching but that price tag compared to the potential earnings could be a hard pill to swallow.
I would say most audiologists are clinicians directly working with patients. There are not all that many research or teaching jobs in comparison. I would say it is a hundred-fold difference in numbers in the clinic vs research/teaching.
I didn't infer anything about numbers of clinicians vs researchers, just that both opportunities exists for the field which make the profession an attractive choice. When you see dual degrees offered with other professional degrees it's usually a Masters in public health, or MBA or something along those lines. I know one or two of the medical schools for podiatry offer a phd track if I'm not mistaken.
Last edited:
I hate to be picky, but I just wanted to explain why people were trying to clarify for you.
You actually did not mention clinical practice.Audiology sounds like an attractive profession especially for people interested in a future in research\teaching
OP probably assumed that was a given. Regardless, we should encourage anyone who would want to go the dual-degree route. The disconnect between academia and clinicians can be wide at times. Ashley, you plan to pursue AuD and PhD right?
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It wasn't part of the student loan reform bill. It was one of the things certain members of congress blackmailed the president with to agree to raising the debt cap.
Federal funding isn't the only option. Aside from assistantships/scholarships, etc., you can also take out Grad Plus loans. They're private loans and they're unsubsidized, but thanks to Obama, all loans are unsubsidized starting in July.
Hm, just to clarify for people reading about loans, the PLUS loan is not a private loan. It is also a federal loan, but based on credit rather than need. Interest rates differ from the Stafford loan but are fixed unlike nearly all private loans.
Hm, just to clarify for people reading about loans, the PLUS loan is not a private loan. It is also a federal loan, but based on credit rather than need. Interest rates differ from the Stafford loan but are fixed unlike nearly all private loans.
My bad. I should have sourced my information, but I was too lazy.
Sent from my DROIDX using SDN Mobile
This person's tuition is actually 43k and its for the first year only, after which she will pay Instate tuition. If someone is a part of next years class, through WICHE, you will receive Is tuition for four years. This is only an option for those in Western US states. The program isnt a cheap one but we've never have failed to attract high caliber students regardless of the cost.