find object distance given only magnification(optics)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

KeepingitMoving

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
An object placed in front of a lens with focal length f produces a real image that is three times as large as the object. At what distance from the lens has the object been placed?
Answer choices
A.1/3f
B. 3/4f
C. 4/3f
D. 3f

I have the right answer (C) but have no explanation. I have spent the last 2 hours trying to figure it out.
Any takers?
 
1/f = 1/o + 1/i

where
f = focal length
o = object's distance
i = image's distance
*all positive numbers since real image is formed, (and therefore lens is converging lens)

if i = 3o

1/f = 1/o + 1/3o
1/f = 3/3o + 1/3o
1/f = 4/3o
f = 3/4o
o = 4/3f
 
An object placed in front of a lens with focal length f produces a real image that is three times as large as the object. At what distance from the lens has the object been placed?
Answer choices
A.1/3f
B. 3/4f
C. 4/3f
D. 3f

I have the right answer (C) but have no explanation. I have spent the last 2 hours trying to figure it out.
Any takers?

if you wanna solve this quickly, TBR has a neat method.

Ok so real image right? Must be converging lens since diverging lens always produce Small Upright Virtual

Next, A & B can be eliminated b/c if you place an object closer than the focal length for a converging lens, it will create a virtual image.

Between C & D, how can you figure it out?

If do = 3f, then the image will be much smaller. Therefore that leaves C.

This animation should help you: watch it several times--it will save so much time on these problems. I pretty much have the animation memorized, which is why I can eliminate D quickly

http://science.sbcc.edu/~physics/flash/optics/imageobject.html