first year non-tuition expense estimates

Started by E.A. Poe
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

E.A. Poe

the man
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi there,

I'm just wondering if anyone could give an estimate as to what kind of med-school-related expenses I'll be looking at for first year, excluding tuition of course. What did people spend for the stuff you needed? Off hand I can think of textbooks (still haven't decided if I'll use them all), reference books (what would you say is a typical list that most students have), MAYBE a PDA, scrubs for anatomy, a stethoscope, etc, etc. I don't know what else I'm missing but feel free to clue me in. Thanks.
 
i started classes this week and so far i've spent:
$700+ on equipment
$700+ on books...but i'll spend more once august comes around
$50 on scrubs (they will smell after gross lab. a lot.)
PDAs run $99 to $400

not to mention rent, bills, moving expenses, furniture, etc. that will vary depending on what you want/need and where you're going to school.
 
something I didn't count on at the time...money for joining the scribe/transcription service if your school or class runs one (I spent ~$120-130 for the first year)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
lane - when you say equipment - what do you mean by that?? I didn't budget for those kind of expenses, and I was wondering if it is school specific.
thanx
 
Hmmm...I spent around $500 for equipment, $800-1000 for books, $100 for dues/memberships during the first year. Also bought a bunch of books during second year and third year, but at least no more equipment.
 
If I could go back to anatomy, I would wear an old t-shirt and a really old pair of pants that I had to throw away and not waste money on scrubs...yeah maybe I wouldn't have looked as cool as everyone else, but who cares! I ended up getting 4 pairs of scrubs...I donated them all to the incoming first years! What a waste of $$.
I say I spent close to $10,000 dollars...incl. rent, food, everything else, and oh yeah...I travelled abroad quite a bit during breaks and that was about $5000 worth of loans.