For PCAT scores, would you rather .....

Started by Jetninjin
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Jetninjin

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just for the sake of wondering, if the PCAT Fairy came to visit and gave you a choice:

Would you rather have a high composite (90+ %ile), mostly high subsection scores (80s-90s) and just one horrible subsection (30 or 40) (full disclosure - this happened to me I admit!)

or ...

Would you rather have a decent composite (80-something %ile) and all middle-of-the-road subsection scores (70s and 80s)?

Those are the only choices!!! So, what would you choose?
 
Last edited:
I don't like either of those choices. You could just study and then knock it out of the park. No need for PCAT fairies to visit you if you depend on your own efforts. If you don't like your scores, work harder.
 
I'd be more fun if I didn't think this was some attempt to rationalize your own scores. If you hadn't taken the PCAT yet, I would see this as a fun poll. However, the similarity between one of the options and your own situation doesn't seem coincidental to me.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
...high composite without a doubt. The composite is the most important score. You can get three 99s and completely bomb the other two sections and still end up with a 99. Of course you should try to do the best you can in all sections, but if you have a particular strength, try to perfect it. A score in the 90s brings your composite up dramatically.
 
Last edited:
Stupid question.

Like diastole said you're clearly asking this for yourself.

Second, the question is irrelevant unless we know what pharmacy school this pertains to. Having a high composite is obviously beneficial for applying to the school's that only look at composites. If you get 2 99s and a 16 for a school that requires 25% cutoffs across all categories, then you're obviously SOL.

And lastly, PCAT fairies are overrated.
 
I'd be more fun if I didn't think this was some attempt to rationalize your own scores. If you hadn't taken the PCAT yet, I would see this as a fun poll. However, the similarity between one of the options and your own situation doesn't seem coincidental to me.

I don't need to rationalize anything. You are right, option 1 happened to me, on a section that my first-choice school couldn't care less about. Such is life!! Am I concerned? Not very, after talking to 3 different admissions people about it 😳. I have a very good reason for it happening, which I believe an adcom will appreciate, and an otherwise strong application, although that is neither here nor there.

Why did I post this, you may ask? I was discussing my situation with a friend who is also applying. She thinks option 2 is better than option 1. A friend who is a pharmacist disagrees and thinks 1 is better than 2. I thought it would be interesting to see what others said since we are all applicants. Simple as that!
 
Stupid question.

Like diastole said you're clearly asking this for yourself.

Second, the question is irrelevant unless we know what pharmacy school this pertains to. Having a high composite is obviously beneficial for applying to the school's that only look at composites. If you get 2 99s and a 16 for a school that requires 25% cutoffs across all categories, then you're obviously SOL.

And lastly, PCAT fairies are overrated.

I still don't get why this is apparently scandalous .... it happened to me, so what? Where is the huge offense in that? What's done is done, it's no big deal, and I'm simply curious is all.

If I didn't make that clear, consider it done with the above sentence 😳
 
I feel that the other option (80s composite) is best. It's still a very high composite score. I don't think the highest composite and the bombed section is good at all; I think all the areas are skills needed in pharmacy school and therefore should be considered equally.

If a single score was under the 40th percentile, I'd immediately disqualify that applicant.
 
I don't need to rationalize anything. You are right, option 1 happened to me, on a section that my first-choice school couldn't care less about. Such is life!! Am I concerned? Not very, after talking to 3 different admissions people about it 😳. I have a very good reason for it happening, which I believe an adcom will appreciate, and an otherwise strong application, although that is neither here nor there.

Why did I post this, you may ask? I was discussing my situation with a friend who is also applying. She thinks option 2 is better than option 1. A friend who is a pharmacist disagrees and thinks 1 is better than 2. I thought it would be interesting to see what others said since we are all applicants. Simple as that!

I'd be careful with that very good reason for it happening. It may come off as excuse making. If they ask about it, then explain but I wouldn't bring it up if they don't. I think you would be better off talking about the rest of your record than highlighting the fact that you didn't score well in one subsection.
 
I'd be careful with that very good reason for it happening. It may come off as excuse making. If they ask about it, then explain but I wouldn't bring it up if they don't. I think you would be better off talking about the rest of your record than highlighting the fact that you didn't score well in one subsection.

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it ... I don't want to get specific as I do not like to give away personally-identifying details, but it is an extremely good reason. As in ... everyone to whom I have explained this has given me a look of horror and an "Oh my God ...." .... blah, such is life! On the bright side, at least it makes my application interesting!!! :laugh:
 
High comp score 100%. The school I got into only looks at that anyways. And then I could have been able to teach at Kaplan. Unfortunately, I missed their 90+ % only rule by 3% X_X, and now I can't tutor in PCAT and make money for uni. SAD...