Former mentor and macular degeneration

Started by Mewcakes
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Mewcakes

SCO c/o 2014
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A doctor that I shadowed for about 4 years ago has developed macular degeneration and is now forced to sell his practice. :-( He was a really great doctor to shadow and I really enjoyed being under his tutelage. What do you think is appropriate for me to do to express my condolences? The whole situation, in all its irony, makes me really sad. But I don't want to just show up at his office and try to give him a hug. Or maybe I should do that? I haven't seen him in a few years, so I'm not really sure how to approach. Or if he'll even remember me by now. What would you do?
 
Doing nothing at all until to see him in person would be fine, but don't send a sympathy card or "express your condolences."

What I'd appreciate if I were in that situation would be something like:

"Thanks again for letting me shadow, I really appreciated you making the effort to show me the ropes.....
I was sorry to hear that you had to stop practicing due your vision...hope you find a new challenge."