Gen Chem II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

In short, I'd say yes. If Gen Chem II was anything like my Intro Chem II, then you'll cover basic Phys Chem (of which you'll cover stuff like Acid/Base-Solution Chemistry, Thermodynamics and Electrochemistry), followed by introductory organic chemistry. I'd say that for the organic chemistry part any basic textbook and pure will to read it will cover, but for the physical part you will miss out unless you get a tutor.
It would be in your best interests to take Gen Chem II. (BTW, I am fairly sure most pharm programs require gen chem anyway).
 
I took Gen Chem I and II in 1989 and took the PCAT in 2005. That's probably just as bad as not taking it at all. I had to get a waiver to enroll in Organic because my Gen Chem classes were so old.

I bought a 'Clif Notes' like General Chemistry review book and went through it and completed the Kaplan review book.

I scored 99th percentile on the PCAT.
 
wow, i wouldn't feel prepared if i didn't take Gen Chem II before the PCAT. I guess you would be missing at least half of the material that would be covered in the PCAT section. If you review it and you don't seem that you're getting the hang of it, i would probably wait til June to take the PCAT. I know some people a few years back who only took Orgo I and took the PCAT and said they wished they took Orgo II cuz they felt that they missed a good chunk on the test.