General Practice after 4 years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Dentalstu02

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i want to know how capable a person would be that goes to a research oriented school (Michigan) to practice general dentistry after 4 years. I am in a bind because I am choosing between UM and Temple (an awesome clinical school and I love philly!) but I am instate at Michigan (plus it is overall such a good school). I am pretty set on general dentistry but I would want to practice straight out of dental school (I dont want to have to go into a year long aegd or gpr program)
Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!
 
it depends on how much effort you put into it. I'm not familiar with Michigan, but I would tell you to spend a ton of time in the clinics and exceed their clinical requirements. I met people at temple who have extracted over 500 teeth, even though the requirement was around a 100. So if you can exceed the minimum requirements they give ya you should be fine. Also, remember that when you first come out of a 4 year school you will be SLOW. It will take time to adjust, that's why a GPR or being an associate may help before you get your own practice.

DesiDentist
 
I have to agree that it is a great benefit to do residency. You will be slow but also dental school teaches the basics of dentistry. to really know what you're doing takes more advanced experience. I don't think you want to go right from the sheltered experience of dental school to working without a net right away. It can be nerve wracking.

GV Jr.
 
I'm a D1 @ Mich right now and although most people view our school as a strict research school, that's not the case. Research is entirely optional. It's not a requirement. I just completed my 1st semester and we did see some clinic time. We went up there once a wk for 8 wks to assist the D3's and D4's. In addition to that, we did a lot of lab work doing preps, waxing and restorations. Once you reach your 3rd year, you spend most of your time in the clinic. Hope that helps.